Suggestions for Video Editing Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit

Baseband Member
It's been almost 2 weeks since I built my friend's $500 PC and we haven't experienced a single problem. Now that all my friends actually know that I can build a computer, I now have another friend asking me to build him one as well.

This time though, the budget is slightly higher: $800-$1000. Also, this isn't a general use/purpose rig. My buddy is majoring in Graphic Animation, or something like that, and he needs rig that's up to the rigors of video editing/animation.

I'm not asking anyone to part out a pc for me. I just need a few suggestions like:

1) Which CPU is better for video editing/animation AMD or Intel?
(I realize that this calls for opinion, so maybe you could post a link to a review backing up your claim. Not necessary, but appreciated.)

2) Which GPUs are better for this kind of work?
(My assumption would be that a high end card is needed, is that true?)

3) How much RAM and HDD space does he need?
(He stated that he wanted at least 2GB of RAM and a 120GB HDD, and unless someone who has a lot of experience or compelling evidence showing otherwise, that's what I'll get.

Any other suggestions are certainly welcome.

P.S. The friend I built the $500 pc for really likes his new rig. I couldn't have done it without the help and suggestions of you guys here on TF. I just wanted to say thanks for all the help.

go intel, get 2 gigs of ddr2 ram with a ddr2 intel mobo, 2 SATA hdd's in RAID0, and probably a workstation gfx card

ok, You wanna get an Intel P4, it owuld be better if you got 64bit, and you want some regualr ddr1 ram like 1.5gigs is enough for now, and then any video card, it has no role in video editing, and at least a 160gb hdd, nothing less, my bro and me do video editing and we need more space, currently at 250gb

Ok here are some small suggestions not too specific.

Ok get an intel p4 "prescott" 3.4ghz or higher*(32-bit CPU will do fine)
1-2gb of PC-3200 or any speed of DDR2(make sure that the bus will take advantage of the ram)
WD raptors
A nice firewire card.
you really dont need a high end card for video editing.
If he is going to do really complex editing, try to get an MPEG decoder.
Editing keyboard and shuttle/jog dials
Maybe a DV deck??????? (very expensive)

Also I use adobe premiere pro 1.5 alot, and I know FIRST HAND that you want fast HD's in a raid config. Probably 2x 74gb WD raptor 10,000rpm

Also you might want a 120gb SATA HD for just video archiving. But keep it seperate from the raid.

yea i think every1 will agree on a P4 for video editting tbh. you want at least a 3.4gig one, alot of fast ram i would agree with the 2gig cos puttin big video files on it fills it up v quickly. i would say ur HDDs are one of if not the most important part. wat i would do would be, one 36gig raptor for the OS and the mainly used programs then at least 3 if not 4 120gig SATA seagates in Raid0 for storin and readin from.

Yeah Intel is better at video, period.
However I would still get a 64bit CPU, since video programs are migrating to 64 shortly.

A video card is not that important for you, a professional video card meant for video editing and CAD are the Nvidia Quadro and the ATI FIRE GL

but they cost HEAPS, so its not really worth the money. yeh P4, but you dont need DDR2, its not better than DDR1. and DDR1 is a bit cheaper generally i think. 2gig would be ok, but you dont need it to be really expensive performance ram, you could get Kingston HyperX, its good, and damn cheap for its performance. video card is negligable... just needs to be able to display colour :) so an old MX440 would be ok, just make sure your friend doesnt want to play games at all. (i realise its a video editing computer, but games always make their way onto every computer, no matter what its origional purpose was, unless its a mac :p .)

hdd's are important, go for something like 2x200Gb for storage, and 2x74gb raptors in RAID 0 for OS/Programs.

I agree with DJ, your friends going to be better off with a 64Bit processor. My best friend attends college for Visual Communications. Which is pretty much the same crap. He runs photoshop and dreamweaver 24/7 along with various other programs.. Right now hes working on this high tech 3D website. Hes only on a 3.0ghz Northwood. He's always using 100% of his cpu and 1GB RAM.

Those kind of applications take alot of your system. I suggest a 3.2ghz/3.4ghz 64bit Intel. But most of all, some really good RAM. For that computer, it needs a nice cpu, but fast RAM.

I suggest OCZ RAM.
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211

personally i recon if you're going to do 64bit, its probably worth getting an AMD, im saying this completely unbiasedly, the Intel emulation of 64bit is poor compared the the proper 64bit from AMD. so the advantage that Intel has in the video editing area is negated by its poor performance in 64bit.

just my thoughts, but of course, in 32bit, for video editing, Intel all the way.

I havent heard anything wrong with Intels 64Bits. Im not claiming there is nor isent. But i dont see it being very plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom