Computer got wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
This past week I attended a LAN party at a friend's house. However, the day it ended, it was raining heavily, and I had literally a carload of computer hardware to move. I covered everything with reasonably heavy blankets (so they absorb water, as opposed to drip it) and procedded to load up. However, once everything was loaded, I noticed that my desktop's back panel was exposed. The back panel didn't face up at all, but rain could have blown in. Is it probable that some components were damaged? Would any damage be immidiatly apparent? Could any damage incurred cause damage to future components (ie kill a brand new video card etc)? I have not powered up the machine yet as a precaution and it has been more than 24 hours since it was exposed. At the time of exposure, the PSU switch was in the on position, if that hasany significance. Any answers and help are appreciaed, I am very concerend about this, hopefully without good reason...

You should be good to turn it on. If your concerned about other items, remove the Video card and cards on the PCI bus and unplug other hardware then turn it on so *if* something happens, you dont loose other items.

yeh, there's not really anything else you can do, short of pulling it to bits, and drying each individual part...

but it should be ok by now, i would just boot up

Yeah I just let PC stuff dry after it gets wet, same as other electronics

I am yet to have a problem

I was carrying my PC thru a rainstorm on saturday too

I'd leave it without turning it on until u are sure it's dry. Maybe blow some "mild heat" towards it using a desktop fan and a heater?

I'd definately wait...i've heard stories about people destroying their PCs by turning them on wet. Wait a few days to make sure its dry then turn it on. You are probably fine anyway though, you said you weren't sure it even got wet.

I think that any water on it should have evaporated by now. I didn't see visible drops when I hastily inspected the rear panel following the dash to the car. I know that electronics can withstand water (I have read of people dunking their mobos in alcohol and running laptop keyboards through dishwashers) provided they are unpowered. Therefore my primary concerns are the CMOS battery, the PSU switch which I left on, and any lingering power in compacitors, ect. But, if DJ-CHRIS's stuff survived, I suppose mine will too. Thnaks for the consolations.

i've heard stories about people destroying their PCs by turning them on wet.
lol I don't need to read stories to know that you'd destroy your PC by turning it on when it's wet.

Yeah you can submurge a PC in relitivly clean water as long as it doesnt have power :)

Im going to microwave, err dish wash my keyboard for the fun of it someday soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom