Help choosing ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nojtek

Beta member
Hey i have a Ktv4 mobo with 512mb of generic pc2700 ram.

Its a little sluggish during games (cs:s) Im sure my problem is my ram. My question would 512 of quality ram be enough for gaming? or do i need a gig?

Also im unsure of weather to go with pc2700 or pc3200. I understand that pc2700 would be best for my system.

But ive been looking at pc3200 ram but i read this

"Supports only 2 banks at 400MHz using two 256MB (single bank) modules or one 512MB (double bank) module."
at kingston.com

and this

"Supports DDR200/266/333/400* memory. *DDR 400 memory support by MSI certified module only Note: DDR400 (PC3200) Max. up to 2 Memory DIMM slots with 4 memory banks only"

I have 3 slots

Wouldnt i be able to use 1 stick of 1gb pc3200 with my board

any help is appreciated.

yes, you need one gig

btw, what video card are you using

since cs:s takes about 225kb load (i think), having 256 will screw you over pretty bad

I have a geforce 5600fx 256mb
i have 512
Im not sure if my comp will support a gig of pc3200

just get another stick of 512 then, the pc3200 will revert back to pc2700 and underclock itself to fit the mobo's top speeds

btw, ur video card is kinda old

ya i kno but it still should be able to run cs:s with all settings on low

I understand that the mobo speed and the ram speed are independent of eachother

either way i can't go on using the cheap ram im using. its pc2700 but its generic was very cheap

depends on how much you are willing to spend

for really high end RAM, I would suggest G.Skill
for high end, but not quite as good, go for PQI or OCZ (they are almost identical)
for average RAM, go for some PC3200 (non-"value") Kingmax has descent inexpensive RAM
for cheap okay RAM, go for some PC3200 value RAM from Kingston or Corsair

Honestly if your looking for a ram upgrade, get basicly anything, you dont seem to be an overclocker.

Never heard of gigaram, but samsung and corsair value select are good RAM in your price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom