Copying entire OS's into different noninteractive partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncertain

Beta member
I want to separate my computer into two partitions, one with junk (i.e., random shareware programs I want to try), and one with stuff I use consistently (Important). This way, the one I always use will not impeded by the many badly coded junk programs that slow down my computer and give assembler errors.

I have Windows XP Professional already on the new computer I just bought. I want to separate my hard drive into several partitions, and copy the entire OS with all the files into one of them. Then I want to be able to boot up under either version of the OS. Is this possible, considering I only own own one vesrion of Windows XP Professional, and if it is, how would you recommend doing it?

Assuming it is impossible I would install Windows 2000 instead on the junk partition.

The 2 partitions with the OSÂ’s should be entirely separate and unable to interact (except maybe with my permission through the partition manager) as if they were separate hard drives on separate computers. The only indication that I have 2 diff OSÂ’s would be that when I boot up it would ask which OS I should boot up under.

Also, would copying the entire OS (with programs I always use) into yet another partition (that wouldnÂ’t actually be used) as a backup in case my junk OS becomes too slow make sense (this is in addition to the important stuff partition wich I will use)? Then all I would have to do is delete the junk partition and copy the saved OS, and continue after loading it. IÂ’ve heard that some other programs such as Ghost and True Image do this, but could I simply copy the OS with a partition manager and not allow booting up under it instead? It wouldnÂ’t be that compressed but I have a large enough hard drive that it shouldnÂ’t really matter.

Lastly, what would getting an additional separate Linux partition require?
I assume that I could just download the Linux OS from the internet, and install it on the empty partition (I would probably need to put it on a cd first). The main point of this would be that I would be able to telnet to my computer if I left it on under Linux, and do some things on my computer without having to boot up. Would you recommend I just use a version of Linux that runs from within Windows instead?

apokalipse you should post your messages in one post, are you in a race trying to increase your post count? Uncertain you what you are talking about is dual booting. a better way is to have only one operating system and use symantec norton ghost or drivequest driveimage to image your partition. i use ghost myself.

at any time something happens you can restore the image, it takes only a few minutes and restores everything back to exactly the way you had it when the image was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom