Modem and Com1 issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNinja

Solid State Member
Wow.. This is a tough one, I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, hopefully someone smarter than I will be able to fix this issue.

So a friend of mine asked me to get her computer to work properly again. It's an old Gateway running Win98. Not a big deal, nothing I haven't seen before. She said to me the modem was having some troubles and that she thought it needed a new one. I told her I'd have a look at it, and I have plenty of old modems lying around from PCs of yesteryear.

So, I start the thing up, check out the drivers, those are all in working order, there are no resource conflicts, and the modem is set up to use Com1. I try to communicate with the modem and I recieve an error that states "Can not communicate with modem, check to make sure the modem is plugged in and/or turned on", or something to that effect.

So I uninstalled the modem in the Control Panel, and tried to autodetect the modem, and it would not find a new modem. I put in a new modem and still, would not auto-detect. So I put in a Motorola ModemSURFR v.90 series modem, and used the disk to install it. That all went well, and Windows recognized that the modem was installed. Still set for Com1 and still will not communicate.

I've run debug from the DOS Prompt and checked to make sure Com1 was available, and it is the only ComPort there is on the computer. I'm out of ideas here, anybody have any thoughts or ideas on what could be going on here? I've run through the Windows Help as well, and naturally that did nothing, because it's the worst help system there is. But it was worth a try.

So anybody got any ideas, or answers to this mystery? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom