upgrading my laptop graphics card/ram/processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the drizzle

In Runtime
I know i would be better off purchasing a desktop, but i like the convenience of a laptop. I currently have an ati mobility 9600 with 512mb of ram, 3.0ghz p4 ht. I think my laptop graphics card is upgradable, but i do not know for sure, or what to get or where to get it. mobility 9700s go for around $100 on ebay, but i dont know if that would be enough of an upgrade. Also, i havent found a place that sells the mobility 9800 or x800. Last question: is it possible to upgrade my p4 to amd64? they sell a 3400+ for laptops at newegg. any help would be greatly appreciated.

the difference between the 9600 and 9700 is very small and def not worth the $100. no you wont be able to upgrade from the p4 to the amd cos they wil be different sockets.

thank you. but would the change to the 256mb radeon 6800 or x800 be worth it? also, where would i purchase one?

It's not worth it, you really only need 128mb for video, if that. I'm running on 64 and it's fine. You only need more unless you play graphic-intense games.

youre saying the upgrade to 256mb wouldnt be worth it? i can currently play farcry, doom 3, and hl2 on my comp, but there is occasional slowdown in doom 3, and i cant run anything past medium quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom