Vaio machine with erronious problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

goku2100

Baseband Member
Mouse problems

I have a sony PCV RX470DS system with windows XP/2000 installed. The system has the lastest security updates with SP1 (SP2 causes too many problems). The only way I can get the mouse to work on this machine is by using the USB port. When I use the PS/2 port, the mouse locks up (machine is still responsive). How can I get this machine to start working with the PS/2 port agian?

Have you tried using another PS/2 mouse with the computer? Also make sure you connect the PS/2 mouse to the computer while it's off.

Why don't you want to use the mouse via USB?

-GrayWolf

GrayWolf said:
Have you tried using another PS/2 mouse with the computer? Also make sure you connect the PS/2 mouse to the computer while it's off.

Why don't you want to use the mouse via USB?

-GrayWolf

You can actually connect the mouse while the system is on (I have a KVM switch which I use to switch between systems while they're on). But yes I start up the system with the mouse plugged in but no go. Tried a different mouse and it's the same thing, (this mouse works fine with my other system on the KVM). Like I said, it worked before I installed some updates after the installation of SP1 (I think I said). Mice on USB=Suck period. I never ever ever recommend mice being used on USB unless there is no PS/2 port. Using mice on USB is like having a wireless keyboard+mouse setup, they just suck no matter how you look at it.

How do they suck? I have used one for years without a problem...

Try connecting the mouse directly to the PS/2 port w/ out the switch.

-GrayWolf

my mouse works fine on USB - are you sure not plugging into keyboard ps2 socket - if not then it sounds like ps2 socket might be faulty. Try the another mouse on it.

Sure it works fine on USB just like wireless keyboards do but that doesn't mean any true self respecting gamer would ever have those/do that. USB uses too many resources and is a bad idea except when the port is completely unavailable. Remember I know I'm plugging it in to the right port because it worked for a bit and stopped working. The keyboard continued to work fine after the mouse locked up on the PS/2 port. Mice on USB tend to stutter/lag more/jump then PS/2 mice. PS/2 is less drivery and have been around since windows 2.0 at least..

Some optical mice require a driver, I use a Microsoft Mouse so of course the driver is included with Windows. Check the manufactureÂ’s website....

look the mouse works fine on all other machines (even 3.x)! I have a MS explorer 3.0 mouse that requires no drivers what so ever. The mouse is currently working on the machine but it will lock up after a misc. amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom