intel celeron D for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0

In Runtime
Hey, i was just wondering if i was to overclock a celeron 2.8ghz to around 3.2ghz, would it hold up during games like half life 2, call of duty, doom 3, stuff like that?

a friend of my did the same it works good. Just make sure everthing is up-todate on drivers and stuff. And Also make sure yyou have good cooling.

Tough call, the Celeron D has a slightly larger L2 cache and since a lot of these games are a lot more GPU demanding than CPU demanding I think you'll be all right.

It won't provide you nearly the same performance as a Pentium or an Athlon, but it'll be able to play the games, no question there.

yeh i didnt think it would, im gettin a new system in about a month or so, and i was going to get an athlon 64 2800, but if i could get a celeron and save some cash i could probly get a better video card, do you think that is a good idea?

athlon 64 3000+ and 6600gt is minimal

if you're getting a celeron D as a new system, it won't be good at all

if you don't the money; save up

cant i just overclock the 2800+? thats the video card i was getting, i thought the celeron with a 6800 might work alright. but i wasnt sure.

nonononoonono

6800 is a TAD better than 6600gt, but not enough to be justified by the drop from 2800 to the crappy celeron

also, a winchester (90nm) 2800+ is only socket 754 (i think), which won't allow you to upgrade

a 3000+ is sckt 939 and would save you from speding more to upgrade a year or two later

also, there's no point in ocing the 2800 because it's almost the same speed as 3000+ and if you want to OC, you need good ram (which = money)

oh yeh i forgot about that, guess il go with a 3000+ and a 6600gt then. why do i need good ram to OC my CPU?

bad ram use loose timing (i.e. 3-3-3-7), which can't be loosened any more, causing limited/no oc
also, bad ram uses cheap black chips on ram, which makes ocing impossible/hard

on the other hand, good ram uses tight timings (i.e. 2-2-2-5, which can be loosed to something like 2.5-3-3-7 for even better ocing)
also, good ram uses good black chips and a good pcb board (that green board the black chips sit on), which makes ocing easy and can reach higher fsb's

edit: you DON't need to oc at all

i have a 3200+ and a 6600gt (3000 is no different from the 3200 in performance, sicne you can't feel it at all) and everything runs smooth with no lag at all

the only lag i ever get in games is the once in a while lag spikes my internet gives me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom