1200 gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

x2designstudios

Solid State Member
I have $1200 to spend on a new pc along with 2 or 300 my brother may pitch in for a moniter... i wanted something that will be able to run doom 3 or hl2 games on higher res with eyecandy on with smooth frame rates.. ive looked around and came up with this.

MSI - K8T Neo2-F MS 64 3200 939 - $281
eVGA - EVGA 6800 ULTRA 256MB - $423
Samsung - 2GB Kit (1GBx2) PC3200 - $216
Western Digital WD2500JD 250GB - $129
House Brand - CS808 Case - $35
NEC - FE1250PLUSBK 22 inch - $249
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro - $217

$1550

I did some other lookin around and think im going to get the BFG 6800 Ultra OC instead of the evga... no more $$ for speakers, haha.

Any ideas on if this is a wise system to spend my 1200 on?.. and is the SLI & pci-x worth it now? or wait till they bring some better motherboards?

Get the eVGA Ultra, and dont get 2GB of RAM. 2GB of RAM is a huge waste. Get 2x512mb sticks. PCI Express is worth it. SLI is not worth it. I would also get a cheaper sound card. Thats way to expensive for your budget. I suggest the normal ZS.

Well i was thinkin of gettin a Platinum card because i plan on doing things with band recordings and working with digital music... i heard the platinum pro was best for this, is this true?..

And i looked @ some memory, if i dont get the 2 gigs ill spend about the same and get 1 gig of some better stuff.
Kingston HyperX 1GB pc3200 (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin - $200

and what about case mods and fans.. worth it to mess with that stuff?

With that system you shouldnt need excessive cooling. The heatsink on the 6800 U pretty much covers heating issues with the card. 3200+ wont make much heat, so in that respect your fine. Just pick up a cheapo case and add some fans. Cathodes/Neons and LEDS have no use other than draining your PSU. I bought a tsunami dream window a while ago and am now regretting it. The whole window / lights is totally overrated.. just means you've gota keep the wires all managed >.<

I would buy the RAM, I dont believe it is a waste, my brother just bought another gig which brings him up to 2 gigs, and he said he is really impressed on the improvements.

light and those other stuff is wat overrated and don't listen to the guy above, 1 gig is more than enough; also, creative's audigy line sucks for music recording etc.

AMD athlon 64 3200+(winchester)
dfi lanparty ultra-d
1 gig twinmos ram
eVGA 6800gt (gt > ultra unless you have $1000 liquid cooling)
any case
OCZ modstream 520w
2x seagate 120GB SATA in RAID0
m-audio revolution, m-audio audiophile 2496, or creative emu 0404

that's probably the best build

kenan said:
It looks pretty good but it seems you are missing a drive or two, speakers, and an ASUS mobo. 1 gig ram is really enough..... at least for now.....

yes, for the drive, there's none better than the NEC 3510A and a floppy if you need one

1 gig of ram is more than enough

and why an asus mobo? they suck

algu7344 said:
diablo2, you obviously know absolutely nothing about video processing.....

video processing needs more than 1 gig

the guy is playing hl2 and doom3, which doesn't take up to 1 gig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom