Which video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH, the GPU acts like another CPU? Is that true, cause that would really improve my PC power.lol

no lol, the GPU is the Graphics Processing Unit, it is used strictly for Graphics and will make things easier on your CPU (such as watching dvds, with the new card it will have a hardware Mpeg-2 decoder)

It will handle alot of your graphic-related things, so your CPU doesn't have to use more cycles on that and focus on the task at hand.

You will notice any 3D games your integrated video played in the past will run better then before, for one of those reasons, second being a highly capable graphics processor using its own memory instead of shared ram.

Cool. Will I be able to run Need For Speed Underground 2 at maximum settings? My integrated graphics won't let me.lol. It even won't let me install it! And one more question [sorry if it's bothering you.lol]. When I overclocked my CPU, it also overclocked my PCI bus speed. Default it's 33 MHz, and when I over clocked it, it went up to 40 MHz. I have a modem installed in one PCI slot, no problems yet. Will the video card work? And how do I check how many watts my PSU is?

I can't guarantee maximum, but you can play it for certain, oh yes and install it, assuming you meet the rest of the requirements ;)

Yeah, lol. Just in case, I'll get rid of my 256 stick, put two 512 MB of SDRAM 133 DIMM168 in it.

desiboi said:
Cool. Will I be able to run Need For Speed Underground 2 at maximum settings? My integrated graphics won't let me.lol. It even won't let me install it! And one more question [sorry if it's bothering you.lol]. When I overclocked my CPU, it also overclocked my PCI bus speed. Default it's 33 MHz, and when I over clocked it, it went up to 40 MHz. I have a modem installed in one PCI slot, no problems yet. Will the video card work? And how do I check how many watts my PSU is?

Having a PC at 40mhz PCI is dangerous and a problem waiting to start

Yeah you will be able to play NFSU2 nicely, dont expect AA though.

Oh damn, now I got to declock, :(. On my laptop, I have an ATI 7500 Mobile Radeon. I can play it with max settins with no lag.

Check this out:
PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) products cover a wide range of devices that interact with the PCI bus standard. PCI is a local bus standard developed by Intel Corporation in 1993. Most modern PCs include a PCI bus in addition to a more general ISA expansion bus. PCI is also used on some versions of the Macintosh computer. PCI is a 64-bit bus, though it is usually implemented as a 32-bit bus. It can run at clock speeds of 33 or 66 MHz. At 32 bits and 33 MHz, it yields a throughput rate of 133 MBps. Although Intel developed it, PCI is not tied to any particular family of microprocessors.

Common PCI products types include bus interfaces or adapter modules, memory modules, mass storage modules, networking modules, serial communications modules, power supplies, PC bridges, and PCI extenders. An interface or adapter is a computer board that translates the data from the PCI bus to another bus and vice versa. It is used to connect two non-compatible buses. Memory modules are PCI boards that contain memory chips. Network modules are boards that are network adapters, such as Ethernet, token ring, etc. A serial Card provides one or more serial ports to a host computer. The card interfaces the host with a PCI bus and adds RS232 / RS422 or other types of serial ports. A wireless communications module is a network adapter used in wireless networks. A power supply module is a power supply totally contained in a PCI card. A PCI bridge allows the connection of more than one PCI module to a PCI interface. A PCI extender is a board used to physically extend the PCI bus outside of the host computer for the purpose of testing and development of systems.

Important performance specifications to consider when searching for PCI products include the technology type, form factor, PCI data bus, and number of ports. Technology choices include the standard PCI bus and PCI-X. PCI-X is a standard based on the PCI bus that enables 64-bit, 133-MHz performance for a total raw bandwidth that exceeds 1 Gigabyte per second (GBps). Form factor choices include full size PCI and small PCI. Full size PCI is the standard PCI form factor. Small PCI is a PCI board with a form factor smaller than the full-size PCI. The board dimensions are 3.4" x 2.1". Choices for PCI bus are 32-bit or 64-bit. The number of ports on PCI products is also important to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom