Transfer from Dell to MicrATX mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radont84

Beta member
Hello hardware gurus,

I bought an ECS PM800-M2 motherboard (MicroATX form factor) because my dell broke and I needed a new one. It's a socket 478 mobo and my Dell had a Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz. I switched the processorover without a problem, when I went to put the Heatsink in it didn't reall fit. It sort of did but it wasn't touching the processor, it was probably 2 milimeters or more above it. Is that normal or should the heatsink touch the processor? I wondered if maybe I need a special Heatsink for a MicroATX mobo? I put it all in a new case and everything fit except for the heatsink.

The HSF is supposed to touch the CPU, not alot, but it needs to make a connection. Alot of the heat transfer is made by the thermal compound from the CPU to the HSF, so you can see why they need to touch, even if it is just lightly.

What HSF are you using ? I dont beleive HSF's are not designed by form, they are normaly designed by socket type

I'm using the HSF that came from my dell, the same one that was on the processor originally.

Dell. On this forum that word is profanity.
J/k

Seriously, those HSF's are cheap and not very good. Buy a Zalman cooler. May-be the 7000. You'll be in great shape. They are like $31.00. Also buy a small tube of Artic Silver 5 ($6)

You're CPU will be chillin'

HAVOC2k5 said:
Dell. On this forum that word is profanity.
J/k
The one Joke here is Dell

Honestly, dell makes everything not fit, no matter how odd your CPU heatsink not fitting it, dell would do it.

Pick up something like the recomended zalman with artic silver 5

Thanks, I picked up a standard heatsink and it fit perfectly. I will never buy dell again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom