Ok, 'yall got a Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hey hey folks, heres the deal. I'm getting a bit 'tired' of my current hardware and need an upgrade.

So, heres what i want you to do
Find me; a good motherboard, a good 64bit CPU and some good RAM (1gb) and if needed a new PSU
Now, i assume the mobo would come with onbaord sound? Also, the mobo must support my AGP 6800 GT.

My price range is about £220 ($400 USD) I know thats not alot but its where your skillz/knowledge are gonna have to be put to the test. Also, the online shop your looking at MUST ship to the UK.

My current spec is as follows:

AMD XP 2800 @2080ghz (a bit too old now)
1024mb Ram (**** me if i know its make)
80gb Maxtor Hardriver (this will be compatible with new mobo?)
Asus 6800 GT (keeping this card, its pretty sexy)

- Ok, c'mon folks, find me some sassy hardware

download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com and it can tell you what RAM you have but honestly, 1gb of ValueRAM will be sufficient unless you want to overclock.

Then I'd suggest

G.Skill LAs
OCZ Platinum Rev2
PQI Turbos
Patriot XBL

all those are $200+ but will overclock like mad.

What is your current PSU? What brand is it, how many watts and what is your +12v rated at in amps? (will say it on the side of the PSU on a sticker)

The best OC'ing mobo out there is the MSI Neo2 Platinum

BUT.........DFI which is basically the best OC'ing board out there will be releasing an nforce3 board with AGP here at the end of may possibly, so if you want to wait that long, that board will be way better than the MSI but currently the MSI Neo2 Plat is the best OC'ing board....yes better than the ABit although ABit is a good OC'ing board too.

That PSU looks cheap as hell catbert.

Personally I'd suggest something by thermaltake. Their purepower 480 and 560w PSU's are wonderful

RAM:

DDR SD RAM
Size: 1024mb
Channels: Duel
Frequency: 166.4mhz (PC2700)
Manufacturer: SpecTek

Will that go in an AMD 64 compatible mobo?

I bought some very nice ram by Corsair, just check my sig. I got it from newegg for 84 bucks.

yeah, it would be fine, for the moment.

Taking your word on the mobo Nubius, but I trust that it would be alot better than the AV8 3rd eye, just has a couple of problems with luck, and time trying the right bios. (pci lock becomeing unlocked (I haven't had trouble with it, but I can't overclock, with it on, and be able to play hl2. Also the temperature problem, just needs some time with playing with the bios.)

Update MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
Model #: K8N NEO2 PLATINUM
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
Remove item from Cart Remove Save Save Move To Wishlist
$140.00 $140.00
Power Supplies
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply
Model #: TPII-430
$89.00 $89.00
Processors
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BIBOX
Model #: ADA3000BIBOX
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
$146.00 $146.00
Subtotal: $375.00

Leaves $25 to go towards the ram.

I was thinking of this:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-K8NS (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-024-GI)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200 Newcastle 130nm (Socket 754) - Retail (CP-060-AM)

If i bought those two could i then just port all of my other parts onto the new mobo? Also, whats the difference between Socket 753 and 939.

If i were you, id upgrade to a socket 939. Dual channel RAM, future upgradibility, its worth it. 754 is obsolete.

3200+ is a sweet CPU, but get the winchester core if u can. great OCer. the 3200+ is equal to a P4 3.8ghz in some gaming tests.

ok, hook me up with a 939 Mobo and AMD 64 CPU that fits in my price range and would be compatible with ALL my current parts (Ram and AGP 6800 GT)

I got one question where is your proof there dhw because just in gaming I think it won't make that much of a difference but where are the benches that help you prove your statement but Try to get winchester core because as stated before the can overclock like mad and if you really want something good wait about 2 weeks or around there and get the venice cores or wait a little more and get the san diego cores but the san diego core is probablly too much for your budget heck the venice would probablly fit in the budget if you are lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom