First Easter egg found for Microsoft Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRule

Solid State Member
"0" Blank File, and Clock AVI File (Contributed by: Dark Sim 905)

For Windows XP, If you look in your "My Computer\C:\WINDOWS\" In this folder, after all other folders, you find a text file named "0". If you open it, nothing will be in there, hence the filename "0". Another thing would be a file called "Clock". It's an AVI file. It can open it in Windows Media Player. It's a very simple and plain animation.

These 2 files, were probably left in by the Microsoft Programmers as Easter-Eggs for anyone that could find them.

Reference: http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/eastereggs/windowsxp.php

BTW, as of now you won't find this on any website (Easter egg or computer or software related website) :D People will start copying this to their site soon though :p

Why do you consider these two files as easter eggs, there's nothing in the text file at all. Hey there's a bootstat text file also, wonder if that's an easter egg? :rolleyes:

I believe the Clock.avi file is included with Visual Studio 6 as part of one of the examples on how to play avi files. I'm not sure as to the origin of the text file, but it's probably a temporary file occasionally used by Windows... at any rate, they are hardly "easter eggs"... besides - Microsoft was forbidden from including any undocumented features with Windows XP as a result of one of their many court battles...

0.txt

I agree with þÄ®âÐÖx, i think it's a temp file because it seems to be updated every time Windows XP starts.

þÄ®âÐÖx said:
I believe the Clock.avi file is included with Visual Studio 6 as part of one of the examples on how to play avi files. I'm not sure as to the origin of the text file, but it's probably a temporary file occasionally used by Windows... at any rate, they are hardly "easter eggs"... besides - Microsoft was forbidden from including any undocumented features with Windows XP as a result of one of their many court battles...

There is a cheat for Minesweeper lol its AWSOME!!!

1. Start Minesweeper,
2. Type "xyzzy" without the quotes,
3. Hit Shift and Enter at the same time,
4. Minimize all application windows that hide the desktop. The uppermost pixel in the top left corner of your desktop will turn black when you mouse over a mine, and white when it's safe to click.

This tip also works with Windows 2000 & Windows NT 4.0.

There is also an egg to win solitaire but I forgot how to do it something like alt + shift + F2 or something to win the game without even having to play....

-GrayWolf

Notice the clock looks exactly like the clock program in Windows 3.1, except on this one you can change the time within Windows. Perhaps, it was left for nostalgia purposes?

If you're on Win2k or WinME, there is another cheat for minesweeper.

Open the program, the first space you click, press escape, enter, enter, escape

It will stop the timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom