HL2 ATI problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, its only in HL2 that I have this problem. Every other game works fine. Its either a bug in HL2 or most likely a bug in ATI's driver...because this just started when I updated to Catalyst 5.4. However, I saw a signifficant increase in Doom 3 performance with Cat 5.4, so I don't want to go back to older drivers.

Not ATI's fault. Many people have this problem with nVidia cards too. Its HL2's issue - everyone can run other games fine but HL2 has an issue i guess with tight timings.

Not ATI's fault. Many people have this problem with nVidia cards too. Its HL2's issue - everyone can run other games fine but HL2 has an issue i guess with tight timings.
I don't know, I've never had an issue and my RAM is 2-2-2-5

The question is how much more stress does the HL2 engine put on your system ? If your running overclocked your allready pushing your rig .Add the hightened stress of a more advanced code of instructions your pushing it even more , power wise and number wise .So if you have a weak hardware profile in the mix (which is probably your memory) your gonna crash . Run the new memtest 3.0 overnight at your best OC and check for errors.Use Prime 95 Torture test overnight as well .The longer tests are the best , i usually turn my monitor off and let it run.What kind of power supply do you have ?

This should be in the gaming section...

Anyway. beedubaya, this has nothing to do with your hardware, before you start cursing your X800 Pro ;) (or your RAM or anything else...).

I used to get the same error message. Many others on these very forums have got the same 'Could not be read...' error message.

When was the last Steam/HL2 update you had? Up you're up to date, then I suggest a re-install, as you're probably looking at a dodgy Steam update...

EDIT: I've always found HL2 just doesn't like CPU/RAM overclocking whatsoever. Undo any adjustments you might have made in this department.

I havent had any problems at all with my half life 2 on my X850 XT. Valve did release a new Steam update today (at least it said so when i turned it on).

If your running overclocked your allready pushing your rig .Add the hightened stress of a more advanced code of instructions your pushing it even more
this is very true yes, but look at my specs in my sig for a sec. I have an OC'd 2600+ and my value ram timings are at 2.5-2-2-3 ok? PLUS i have extremely OC'd my 5600ultra lol. now the thing is, is that me and beed did sort of a lil test on our systems. What we did was put all the settings on max for HL2 and ran it at a res of 1024x768 plus 4xAA and 8xAF. We used fraps and screenshots to see whos was better, well obviously his was better but there was a problem w/ that. he was getting 33fps and i was getting 30fps:eek: now that is just incredible!! now i have no problems w/ my machine crashing at all in games espeacialy w/ HL2 and i keep my system oc'd 24/7 man. no where this is concerned
Anyway. beedubaya, this has nothing to do with your hardware, before you start cursing your X800 Pro (or your RAM or anything else...).
it could be ture but its quite not, sorry. it is all in his hardware man, he has somethig worng somewhere and i think its drivers myself.

This issue is so old and for some people / PC's it just isn't fixable. I've got two PC's.

1.) Dell Dimension 8300 "It's been upgraded beyond belief." I could never get HL2 to run more then 10 minutes with out freezing or getting memory read errors. I've scoward the internet for hours, tried everything that anyone recommended nothing worked.

2.) My Beast 2005 "FX-55, SLI - 6800 ultras +much much more...
"Installed HL2 - WOW!!!! I can play it!!! Never had any errors or problems, once...

My friend has a Self Built PC that is nothing special, and he didn't have any problems either...

You never know I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom