Help end my struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin82287

Baseband Member
Hello everybody, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Here's my situation.

I recently bought new parts to build my first computer with.
I Bought a Case, motherboard, CPU, Video card, and RAM off of newegg.com
Specs
CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

CHAINTECH Geforce 6600 128MB 128-bit DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Everything arrived and I started to carefully build my computer. I screwed everything in and plugged everything in. I went to turn on my PC and the CPU Fans would spin for a split second when I fired it up. I tried messing around with everytihng but still had the same problem. I then figured it was a Power supply problem and bought a new 400W PSU. Tried it, same problem. I then figured I had gotten a bad Motherboard, sent it back....same problem.

I've unplugged everything but the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors that go from the PSU to the motherboard. The CPU seemed to fit perfectly in the socket without any troubles. I tried booting without the RAM in it and in other slots.

I would Greatly appreciate any feedback you guys have to offer. I've been to hell and back with this PC and Nothing would make me happier then to get it working.

Thanks in advance for helping me,
Kevin

take the mobo out of the case and place it on the box it came in. Plug the power supply, graphics card, one stick of RAM and keyboard into it, also make sure your case is close enough so that you can plug in the PC speaker to listen for beeps.

See if the computer powers up like it should. If it does then your mobo was being shorted out in the case.

If it doesn't power up, try removing the one RAM stick.....if it beeps then the RAM simply need to be properly resat or the RAM is bad.......

Next do the same thing with the graphics card. Pull it out and see if your computer beeps, if it does, it needs to be resat or it's bad.

If you know for sure the RAM and/or graphics card isn't bad by putting it in another computer then I would assume it's the CPU causing troubles

I'm almost certain that it's not the RAM or Video card causing the computer not to boot. But I will try taking the mobo out of the case and see if it was being shorted out by the case. Is that a common problem?

Is that a common problem?
You'd be surprised, happens to quite a few people.

Just make sure you got those brass spacers into the mobo tray and set the mobo on top of that and of course make sure they are all lined up because say if you had one not lined up and it's resting on a couple metal solder points of the mobo that could be shorting it.

I didn't put those brass spacers under the mobo... I just screwed 4 screws into it. The mobo is directly touching the metal. Could this be a problem?

Yup :)

You have to have those brass screws........I'm pretty damn confident that is causing your problem.

You need those brass spacers man, no way around it

Okay, wow , I'm going to go try that right now.. If this works I'd be incredibly happy!! Thanks so much I really think this is the problem.. ! brb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom