BIOS and/or processor shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
I bought a thermaltake tower from newegg.com. It came with a thermal diode attached to the fan control that gets inserted into the CPU. When this was done, the computer would not start. We got a message on the screeen saying "Bad BIOS checksum" and it preceeded to check all drives. Realizing that somethign happened that corrupted the BIOS, I went to find the support CD that came with the motherboard. The computer died within moments. I can't get anything to show up on the screen, and now the processor, a Pentium 4, gets extremely hot. This never happened before. It is not a cooling issue because there are 7 fans inside the case, not including the CPU's stock heatsink and fan. The computer shuts itself after running for a minute with nothing appearing on the screen. We can't even get "Bad BIOS" message to appear on the screen again. I tried resetting the CMOS by setting the jumpers and removing the battery. However, this did not work. I know it isn't the video card, showing no display, because I tried my old one, which is a Radeon 9000 Pro, and that didn't help. The computer was functioning prior to the attachment of the thermal diode. But it ceased to function at all afterwards. I tried putting the support CD in the drive since I noticed all the drives are trying to read, but that also did now work. I dont know if the problem is the processor or the BIOS. The processor gets hot until it shuts itself off and the BIOS is corrupt. What else can I do to fix this problem, since no other answers are found in the manual that came with the motherboard, or the Tower's manual, without having to ship the board back to the manufacturer for a replacement?

I can't check the BIOS version because its shot lol, its by American Megatrends. The motherboard is ASUS P4P800SE, and the processor is Pentium4 at 2.0GHZ, its a model that isn't supported anymore.

Is there any beeps?

If you want to try a new bios, if the floppy drive lights up, get a floppy disk, format it, and put the newest bios onto the disk, (follow the instructions on the asus website.)

Where did you put the thermal diode??

No there are no beeps at all. NOTHING happens when the power comes on, i noticed that only the CD and DVD ROMS try to read, even with the support CD thats supposed to save the BIOS, but it doesn't register i dont think. It does NOT check the floppy for some reason. I didn't put the diode in, i was getting food for my friend who was doing it, but he thinks the prongs for the diode came in contact with the prongs, but he just followed the instructions in the book, there was no warning that it would happen. We can't get anything to work. 6 hours of work, done the tube.

I dont know if I could somehow get the floppy drive to work and install a new BIOS by saving it to a floppy but the problem is finding out which BIOS I need because I can't get into the computer to see what the BIOS is..... and I can't get the VGA chipset either for ASUS support.

Well it's likely more than just the bios if stuff was shorting

I say you RMA your motherboard to Asus since it's probolly under warranty, and your CPU if it's retail has a 3 year warranty and RMA it if it's broken. If it's OEM your out of luck.

Make sure the rest of your PC components work in a nother PC, because if you fried your whole PC your better off to build a new one.

I'm starting to think thats the only solution.

I called Asus and their technician apparently didn't know anything. I told him everything I did, he was like "Well...... I can give you the number to call to make returns?" So apparently my troubleshooting skills was not the problem.

I know this is a dumb question, is the power swith to I not O. lol. Did you take out the power connector from the PSU to the Mobo. Try using a different PSU.

I have tried just about everything with the mobo. Apparently I knew as much as the technician did when it came to troubleshooting the BIOS. Yes the power is on lol, the computer comes on, it checks the drives, the fans come on, but there is no activity in the computer after the drives are checked. Although the BIOS restoration CD is in the ROM, it does not even read it. I dont even get an error message saying the BIOS is corrupted, which is what it supposed to do according to the manual. This mobo has a feature where you can restore a corrupt BIOS, and it only worked once, but it shut off before we could get the CD. We can't get the message to come up again, which is "BAD BIOS CHECKSUM."

I know when power is flowing to the mobo because of an LED indicator on the corner.

Yeah, after some deliberation, I have no choice but to RMA it. How long does that usually take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom