Odd monitor shutoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotowca

Solid State Member
For a while now i've been experiancing seemingly random monitor shutoffs. At seemingly random times my monitor will go black, a white line will go up the middle, and it will make the shut off noise. The power light stays on though.

I had contributed the problem to heat, as the monitor does get very hot. But the other day I noticed that it didn't seem to happen when I was playing games. No matter how long I played them for. So I ran a few tests. When all was said and done it appeard that it was only happening while browsing the internet. I normaly use FireFox. And any time that I had fire fox maximized, or even larger then 50% of the screen the monitor would shut off after less then 10 minutes. But if I kept the browser window minimized, or at less then 50% of the screen I had no problems, and absolutly no shut downs. This doesn't occur with any other programs yet. I've tried MSN, Media player in windowd, maximized, and full screen modes, games of all types.

I'm currently running a dual screen setup with the second screen being my TV. I have an Asus A7V8X Deluxe Rev 2.0, AMD 2800+, 1024MB OCZ Platnim Series PC3200 Ram, 200 Gb Seagate SATA drive as primary, 100 Gb Maxtor IDE drive as secondary, Radeon 9600XT VIVO from Asus, LG 16x DVD drive, Plextor 712A DVD-RW, and a 19" NEC Monitor running in 1280X1024, 32 bit color, and 60hz refresh.

Any suggestions or help anyone could be would be greaty appreciated.

Anyone with any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Or even anyone who has had this problem as well. I'm completly baffled. Not sure if I mentioned it in the first post, but the problem is only with that monitor. I've used others with out issue.

try popping out and reseating the graphics card....and use canned air to dust it if you can. My monitor was going black the other day and that fixed it for me.....worth a shot although I can't promise that that will be the end all solution

I know your problem. its the KT chip set with the ATI chipset card, i had to switch to NVIDA to get it to work, for some reason the KT chipset has issues wiht windows SP1(occasionally) and some ATI cards. i have same bored and had SAME exact card and had the issue. switch board or card whichever will be cheapest/easier for you.

It's not the video card. I was running an NVidia Card prior and the same problem was there. And it doesn't do it with other monitors. At least not the one I borrowed from work.

I'll double check all my refresh settings and resolution and such one more time, and see if I get lucky.

thanks for the replys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom