installing 2 different RAMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anggun999

Baseband Member
Hey guys..., i wanna know if it's possible to put 2 different RAMs, but same frequenz, for ex: 512 MB PC266/PC2100 cl 2,5 and a 256 MB PC266/PC2100 cl 2,5
Will it damage my motherboard? Coz i already did it once, becoz of installing 2 different RAMs with different frequenz....

so you mean if the PC266 and cl 2,5 are the same, it works? so it doesn't depend on the ammount of the MB or the DIMM/SIMM or the SDRAM/DDRAM?

You can put in any speed, with any completly different latencies, and it will all be the same as the slowest stick. (you can't mix ddr with sdram, ddr with ddr2 etc.)

I don't understand what you are saying in the last bit.

In simple terms, if you have a single Fast stick of RAM. Then a single Slow stick of RAM. The Faster RAM, will operate at the speed of the slower RAM. Thus if you mix any kind of RAM togather, its going to work at the slowest RAM's rate.

Thats pretty much the biggest reason why people DONT do this. Because your better RAM, becomes pointless. So if you went and paid for 1 stick of really good RAM. Then you got a crappy stick, for w/e reason. You just wasted your money. Because your system will NOT utilize the fast RAM. I dont suggest anyone mixing RAM, even the same type from different brands. Because your RAM will become handicap...

ITs a bad idea of mixing two different kind of RAMs, and besides the slow stick with different latency times will mess up the consistency of your syem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom