Reguarding Microsoft AntiSpyware

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just run ms antispyware for real time protection, sure it doesnt pick up on evrything, but i run a scan using Adware every week to clean out what ms antispyware misses.

i'm posting to try to get you ppl to the truth about the product. IMHO, by the articles i read, Counterspy is the better product. I think 20 bucks is a reasonable price for this application. Also, I wouldn't be surprised that MS starts charging ppl for their product once it makes final release, read more about that below. But we'll still be able to get spybot (my personal fav) & adaware.

from http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/executive_tech/article.php/3481661

Intro
You probably know that a program called Microsoft AntiSpyware is currently being given away by the Redmond company in a public beta program.

What you may not know is that the program started out being co-developed by another software company — which happens to own the rights to Microsoft's spyware database for the better part of the next three years.

Product splits
Co-Development. As the threat of adware and spyware grew in 2003 and 2004, Sunbelt and a then-little-known firm called Giant Software Company agreed to co-develop a program to detect and remove the intrusive visitors. That program became Giant AntiSpyware and Sunbelt CounterSpy.

Building The Network. Both companies also created a way for users of their two programs to submit suspected adware and spyware to be added to the database of programs that should be caught. Giant called its database SpyNet, while Sunbelt called its parallel offering ThreatNet.

• Contract Renegotiation. Giant asked in 2004 to change the agreement between the two companies, Sjouwerman asserts. "We smelled a rat, but we agreed to change the contract," he says. After the change, each company completely owned its own version of the software.

• Database-Driven. Microsoft later announced, on Dec. 16, 2004, that it had acquired Giant and would begin a beta of a new product, Microsoft AntiSpyware, based on the old code. The contract between Sunbelt and Giant, however, still required that the database of spyware reported to Giant's SpyNet (which is now part of Microsoft's effort) will be shared with Sunbelt for three years.

MS Final Plans
The antivirus and antispyware development lines are being bundled together into a project code-named "A1," according to a r eport by Mary Jo Foley, editor of Microsoft-Watch.com, an independent site. It's likely to be sold on a subscription basis, she says, after the AntiSpyware beta ends in July.

Asked about this speculation, a Microsoft spokesman said via e-mail, "We are not prepared to announce our final pricing or packaging decision at this time. ... We will be announcing our plans closer to the final release of the technology."

Regarding whether antivirus and anti-adware features will be combined into a single product, the spokesman said, "We do not plan to introduce anti-virus capabilities into this particular solution, however, we have publicly announced that we will eventually be offering customers an anti-virus solution on a for-fee basis."

"I think Symantec and McAfee will be somewhat nervous," Sunbelt's Sjouwerman notes with barely restrained glee.

If microsoft charges for thier spyware product i will never even think about using it. Why dont Microsoft chuck a google like when google bought Picasa which then cost $30 a copy (i think) but then Google made it free. Also when google bought Keyhole mapping software which originanly cost severel hundred dollars to buy but then google made it something like $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom