Win ME double boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
I have a PC that boots twice to get into windows. It gets three quarters of the way through, then restarts. While rebooting, it goes into scandisk. I cancel it and then it goes into windows. Any suggestions?

Win ME always has issues of some sort or another. Try using system restore to restore your system to a date that it wasn't double booting maybe that'll fix the problem.

-GrayWolf

Ya, I've done both of those, and I'm still getting it. I did the restore, and that's when it double booted, maybe I should try restoring to a different point. thanks

Try to do an over the top installation of Windows. Boot into DOS and delete some random registry keys, and then reinstall. Your programs wont work, but you will still have everything.

Or you can just format and reinstall, or, better yet, roll back to 98 or forward to 200/XP.

Him said:
Try to do an over the top installation of Windows. Boot into DOS and delete some random registry keys, and then reinstall. Your programs wont work, but you will still have everything.

Or you can just format and reinstall, or, better yet, roll back to 98 or forward to 200/XP.

I'm not sure that deleting random registry keys going to fix anything :rolleyes:

You can reinstall Windows without losing the contains of your hard drive, as long as you don't reformat. But just to be safe I would back your stuff up first.

When youÂ’re doing almost anything with ME thereÂ’s no telling what will happen.

-GrayWolf

If you delete the random keys and reinstall Windows, then setup will not know there is another operating system and will just install on top of that. I've done it several times, sometimes it is the only way to be able to get a 9/x operating system running. I cannot recall at the moment why, but I dont think you can just reinstall Windows 9/x without formatting. I do believe that a format, according to the setup, is required to install Windows. I think it will tell you that setup has already detected a version of Windows on the selectedr partition. I could be wrong though.

I've installed windows 9x without having to format, I don't recall ever having to. However I will admit that the setup program that Microsoft uses to install windows is very picky especially when you go to upgrade, so anythingÂ’s possible. If one really wanted to fool setup though I would just delete the Windows folder, although I haven't tried that....

-GrayWolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom