Tape Backup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsrt

Baseband Member
I'm hoping to find some tape backup gurus out here. I'm at a loss.

I am running Yosimite's Tapeware v7.0 on a file server. I have St. Bernards Open File Manager running on our database server.

Now, let me give you some info on our db server. Our database is a little over 200 gigs with about 20 gigs of freespace left. It is on a Dell PowerEdge 2600 with dual 2.4 gig procs, 2 gigs of RAM, 3 brand new 146 gig, 10000 rpm drives, running raid 5. Fresh install of Windows 2003 Server, fresh install of Pervasive 8.1.

Here's the problem:

We installed OFM on the database server on Sunday, ran the tape backup from the file server and things ran fine. OFM appeared to be doing what it needed to do, and the tape backup was done in a matter of minutes. We actually were writing data to a few of the files in the database to check how OFM handled it. Life was good.

So, thinking we had things working, we came in on Monday and decided to load test it. We started a backup while everyone was accessing the database. Things ran good for about 10 minutes, then we started getting complaints that people couldn't get into the database. We checked and it was locked up.

Now, whenever we try to do a backup, it blue screens to a memory dump. It appears to do this now just by having OFM running. We don't even need to be doing a backup to get the blue screen and reboot.

I am at a loss as to why it happens and why it worked fine one day and not the other.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Actually, we downloaded the Pervasive Backup Agent that is designed to deal with open pervasive database files and haven't had any problems with it.

St. Bernards OFM was the problem and I'm almost positive it was just a conflict with the propriatary software we were running on that server.

We can use Veritas as our backup software, but even Veritas said they don't recommend their open file management software on transactional servers.

Only issue we have at the moment is figuring out why our execute commands in Tapeware (what we use to start and stop the Pervasive Backup Agent on our database server), isn't working correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated.

Permissions include full control for Domain Admins.

Thing is, you have three execute command lines in Tapeware. Execute on start of backup, Execute on successful backup, and execute on failed backup.

It runs the first execute command flawlessly but for some reason, after each file that needs backed up, Tapeware executes the command to stop and then 2 seconds later executes the command to start again. It does this through the whole backup.

I don't know why they just didn't make a execute on start of backup and execute on end of backup (failed or successful shouldn't matter). It would make things much easier. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom