Computer Upgrade... Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys.
I know my computer sucks, I've heard it a billion times lol but now I'm going to SLOWLY start upgrading it. So here's what I'm thinking of getting:

AMD 939 GIGABYTE K8NSNXP 939 MOTHERBOARD

OR

AMD 939 GIGABYTE K8NXP - SLI MOTHERBOARD

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ PROCESSOR / BOX / SOCKET 939

LEADTEK 6600GT 128MB VIDEO CARD / DVI

x2 KINGSTON KVR400X64C3A - 512 / 512MB PC3200 DDR (If I buy this ram for my current comp set-up now, discard the ram that's currenty in there which is only pc2700. Would it be able to run on my current comp set-up as well as my new one?)

SEAGATE 160GB BARRACUDA IV 7200RPM HARD DISK DRIVE / 8MB CACHE

This any good? If you have any suggestions let me know!

- Michael -

Should I go with the pci or agp 6600GT? However I have heard that the pci one is faster... what are the advantages of the agp?

Hey, don't sweat your rig. It beats the snot outa mine.

Right now, it is mainly personal preference. There's not a lot of speed difference because games haven't taken advantage of the pipelines in PCI-E yet. But they will soon.

I'd go with the PCI-E. If nothing else, for future expansion.

Yeah the one with the PCI-E doesn't have as many features as the other. Take a look on gigabytes website and you'll see what I mean. What about the RAM? What should I do about that?

Because of all the major upgrades, would it be necessary to upgrade the psu as well? Currently it's 350 watt, I was thinking of moving up to a 500?

- Michael -

you probably have a no brand 350w, which won't work

unless it's a seasonic 350, you'd probably be better off with a new psu to avoid harming anything

if you're going pci-e, i suggest the ocz modstream 450w or the fortron blue storm 500w

Sounds pretty good, remeber if you get a pci-e board, you need pci-e graphics card.

You dont need to go as expensive as a modstream, think thermaltake td-420ad

I was just having a look on the pci board
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-K8NXP-SLI.htm#
and where would I be able to put my sound card, gfx card, network card etc, there isn't enough pci slots... (I'm confused)
Thanks diabloII for the power supply advice, are those psu's very expensive? Like would it be cheaper just getting a whole new case? AND CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY MEMORY QUESTION LOL!

Thanks,

- Michael -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom