modding loud hardware into quiet hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
i have a p3-450 system, 32mb ram etc that i wanna run as a print server among other things. Its way too loud for me to run it while i sleep. Is there any way i can make the psu quieter?

Also, i might replace the 40mm fan on the cpu with a 80mm fan but put a resistor in to slow it down. Im not sure which resistor to put in there for silent operation.

Wayne

maybes mod the psu. like take the 80mm fan out of it or watever is in it and put a adaptor for a 120mm fan on it? might be difficult if the fan is right at the back though so you might have the put it inside ur case blowing through the psu.

wat ive dun with my old 400mhz machine was take the fan off the cpu all together and done wat zalman did with their 1st flower design. like have the fan being held over the heatsink but not actaull touching it. that would help get a 120mm fan on there aswel, and im sure that should do you for cooling. wat i used to hold the fan there was a bent cover plate from the back of the case where the pci slots where, seemed to hold it there quite nicely :)

i worked out that the computer would run on 183 watts so it wouldnt put much strain on the psu. I could put a resistor in the psu fan would the psu break?

I got a free tip, clean the case, as I have an old p3 450hmz system, the psu fan is covered in dust, and it is slowing it down, making it do reving noise that is incosistent, so it gives me a headache after a while.

a cheap way of making it quiet, change all the fans to double ball bearing silent ones.

Also you may need to do something with the harddrive if that is load, as mine vibrates the whole case, making the case a load speaker.

I don't understand why putting a variable resistor on the fan would blow it up, unless if it was in series circuit with everything else, which would not be a good idea of the psu makers.

since i built this into a fiarly new case it has basicly no dust. It only has the cpu fan, and the psu fan. I wont put a variable resistor on it, i will put a normal one since it will be permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom