Speed up my Dial-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoL Sorry for not responding in a timely manner...my pc is still slow..I am not sure wether my line is copper of not..My computer is not full or anything I have like 75 percent free space on my drives. I had a line ran directly to my computer and it's still the same thing. I have kinda gotten used to it but I would like to do better. My mom lives next door and her computer is 2 x faster than mine.

thanks

Crashabbot is right you can change the modem strings to run at a higher rate but you must test this sometimes it won't connect what happens is when you want to connect there is what is called a three way handshake your computer says hey I want to open connection it does this by using SYN or synchonize then the other computer the one you are connecting to says ok or ACK for acknoledge then SYN if this SYN can't match because of problems from one or the other computer it won't connect at that speed and if you tell it to it won't connect at all the last thing your computer does is ACK to the other then the connection is open. Changing the modem strings would get you a better connection but it would probably be only like 3k better.

MB was on the right track with the maxing out of the modem ,, although,, I was under the teaching that 119500 was ok to set it too as well as that would be the "ceiling" of the connection , leaving it wide open to that point,, however, as we know you will never connect with dialup at that speed ,, as we know it,, it allows for a lot of "headroom"

That setting is for how fast the com port talks to the modem. The faster you set it the more chance for errors. It's like talking real fast to somebody. They might not catch everything your saying. Set it at 57600 for a more reliable and stable connection. Also it might be the modem itself. Some modems just run better than others. If you using a winmodem (controlerless) get rid of it. These modems are based on software and usually don't run as expected. If your going to stick with dialup, go for the best modem on the market. I would suggest the US Robotics 56k sportster or the 56k PCI PRO both are controler based (the modem does all the work) good reliable modems. But you problem sound like it might be in your phone lines. I was in your situation. The guy next door to me was getting better speed than me. Turned out it was a problem with the switching box mounted to my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom