Wiping a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
I'm going to be wiping my mother in law's computer, and I was going to F disk. Its been awhile since I've done this, can anyone refresh my memory on how to do this?

If you are going to reinstall an O/S, the easiest way is just to put the CD in the optical drive on boot and follow the prompts to format your HDD.

Other than that you will need to format the HDD from another PC as you cannont format a HDD that is currently in use.

I'd use the O/S disk method though.

Catbert said:
Other than that you will need to format the HDD from another PC as you cannont format a HDD that is currently in use.
Bullshit.

Get a startup disk. When the prompt shows up type A:\format c:

Catbert said:
Did you read the sentence before about using a boot disk ?! :confused:
First of all: Asshole.

Second of all: I wasn't talking about the CD. You can format a hard drive without an OS CD. If you get a bootable floppy, you can do it from there. Learn how stuff works before you critize people. Asshole.

oh... I think he thought f disk as in "floppy disk", and not the old dos fdisk command... all you need to do is do what was said by sport, boot to the floppy (goto bootdisk.com or something) and assuming you dont have a bootable CD or for some reason you just HAVE to fdisk the drive. At the A:\ prompt just type fdisk and remove the primary and any logical partitions, repartition it and then reformat it.

Sport1031 said:
First of all: Asshole.

Second of all: I wasn't talking about the CD. You can format a hard drive without an OS CD. If you get a bootable floppy, you can do it from there. Learn how stuff works before you critize people. Asshole.

dude chill:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom