Should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire_Slayer

In Runtime
I plugged my computer into the monitor(through the card, the board doesn't have a monitor connection port), plugged in the power cord, the keyboard, and a mouse. Then I switched on the power supply, sat back in my seat and then pressed the power on button on the front of my computer. Nothing. Didn't hear any fans go on or see anything on the computer. So I pressed it again. Nothing. Then I looked through the side window and the only thing I seen was that there was an orange led light on the board. So I thought for a couple seconds before switching off the power supply. I just want to know is there anychance my cpu might have started up, and maybe fried? And is there a way to tell if you fry your cpu? Also if you plug your monitor into your video card will it show up or do you usually have to plug it into the mobo? And finally should I unhook everything but the fans and see if I can get the fans started up?

well your mobo is obviously getting power, I'd say make sure you put your power button switch correctly on the motherboard

Plugging Monitor into AGP card will show up fine - some mobo's don't have onboard graphics so you have to do this. Not that it really an issue here, bit does you monitor have it's own plug or does it run from the back of the pc's power supply - eg is there a second female 3 pin kettle plug socket next to the mains in on you power supply. I agree with Nubius, it sounds like there is atleast the switch voltage so maybe the switch is faulty - you could try shorting it out (carefully) and see if it all works, or as you suggest - unplug all molex connectors from psu except mobo connector (leave all other leads attached aswell) and see if it starts, although, if it was a device like cd-rom or HDD shorting there would probably not even be a light on the mobo - anyway see how you get on - careful to use anti-static strap.

Plugging Monitor into AGP card will show up fine - some mobo's don't have onboard graphics so you have to do this.
I don't understand exactly what point you're trying to make with that?

His system isn't coming on at all or even attempting to come on, no POST, not fans coming on , nothing so at the very simplest of ideas I think perhaps he just put the power switch button on the wrong pins?

When I built my computer I had the same thing happen and it was the power switch. The led on the motherboard was lit up, everything was properly connected, but the powerswitch was from an old case and either didn't line up right or didn't have the same voltage that the new mobo wanted. After pulling a switch from a newer case and plugging it onto the correct pins, WHOOOSH, everything started up just beautiful.

Well, actually then I had to download a new BIOS, but that's another story. :p

I would think that if absolutely nothing happens when you press the power button but the mobo is showing it has power (with the led) then it's really probable that it has to do with that power button.

Nubius said:
well your mobo is obviously getting power, I'd say make sure you put your power button switch correctly on the motherboard

I am betting it's a dual color LED (yes, they exist and are used alot)

Green is good
Orange \ Red is not

I am betting it's a dual color LED (yes, they exist and are used alot)
lol why'd you have to put that disclaimer? Mine has two led's except it's red and orange at all times, no green, but it depeonds on which one is on that dictates what the system is doing

Nubius: I was answering the following part of his original post

"Also if you plug your monitor into your video card will it show up or do you usually have to plug it into the mobo?"

Nubius: I was answering the following part of his original post

"Also if you plug your monitor into your video card will it show up or do you usually have to plug it into the mobo?"
ahh lol, I was thinking to myself..........what the!?!

Thanks for clearing that up

DFI uses those LEDs to show you that power is running to their respective locations: DIMMs and chipset I believe. If their on, your motherboards good to go.

I second that its your power switch. Look on your motherboard: most new DFI's have power and reset buttons on the motherboard. Try those. If it works, then its just your new wiring. Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom