optical mouse problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mace4u2

Beta member
due to problems that i will be sorting soon, i have had to revert back to windows me.
its running on a packard bell easyone dc laptop
despite dowloading the latest driver i cannot get my microsoft usb optical wheel mouse to work on it, it worked fine with xp home.
any suggestions or a solution would be great
many thanks

Never use USB unless really neccesary. It kinda sucks, especially with older comps and OS, although everything works fine on my old MMX. Get one of those adapters (USB-to-PS/2)!

Yeah, try a PS/2 setup (with a dongle or whatever). It's WindowsME, which is crap and unsupportable. We can't really help you beyond that. Soon as you get back to XPHome, you'll be fine.

Y do USB mice suck so much? I use a USB optical mouse and havent had any problems at all with it.

USB mice don't "suck so much". I've been using them since they came out and have rarely encountered any problems.

The problems occur when the users don't understand the differences between a ball mouse and an optical mouse. Perfmance is based on the communication abilities of the mouse. A good optical mouse can easily overload a PS/2 port's bandwidth, as well as nix a slow/crappy machine.

It depends on the mouse, computer, drivers. You will have more trouble if your mouse needs third party drivers and you want to connect it to another port or install a new mouse. It should work fine but using USB gives you a much higher risk of driver/compatibility trouble than PS/2.

Ive got a basic logitech optical mouse, USB. never installed any drivers for it, nothing, just plugged it in and was ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom