Hits POST and restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewest

Beta member
I have just built a new computer with the Intel 660 P4. My problem has something to do with the mobo or processor. I am just looking for some general Ideas on why the system would restart during the POST. Here is the scenario: I have disconnected all drives, HDD/CD/DVD/etc, and all nonessentials. I am just trying to get to the bios. The reset button is not connected and I have manually started the system with a screwdriver. I have uninstalled the board and placed it on some cardboard to check for grounding issues, not it. The ram & video card have been tested on another system and work. Everything is compatible so says the manufacturer. So, in a case that everything was done correctly and is compatible, what would you think could cause this?

The POST displays as follows: (brief description; If the processor was bad do you think it would read it?)

Intel P4 xxxxxxx [ENABLED]
Ram 4xxxxxxxxxxxx OK

Restarts hereÂ…over and overÂ…
Thanks Guys!

I'm no expert but maybe the bios is corrupt - try and install an updated version - should be available online with the instruction on how to do it.

Try and replacing the RAM with one stick only. If you have another confuser with the same RAM, try one of those. Have you checked all of your jumper settings to make sure they are all at default setting? Also try keeping all of the BIOS settings at default.

Re:

Hello,

I would reset the BIOS CMOS chip first. Remove the battery for a minute or so and try again.

If it still doesn't work, try shifting RAM modules to other DIMM slots. Alos, try just using one RAM stick if you have multiple, and alternate.

Yes, try to reset the CMOS, should set everything back to orig settings.. then I don't know what to do :(

No, it could keep on trying to get into windows... or since no HD, just keep trying to get through BIOS

okay guys I reset the CMOS and there were no changes. It is not getting far enough into POST to boot from anything e.g. floppy, hdd, cd. I swappend mobos, ram, and video cards again today. I am going to try the Majors plan above and replace the heatsink/cpu fan. I called intel today and spoke with a technician. He said since it is throwing errors (beeps) when something is not connected the processor appears to be normal. What is going on?
So far I have tested three mobos, video cards, and types of ram. If anybody lives in houston and has a working socket 775 box, I will pay you $100 to test my CPU! I doubt there are any takers.. but it's worth a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom