New video card in this system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

goku2100

Baseband Member
I currently have a P4 2.8C @ 3.5GHZ, 250MHZ FSB with 1GB Corsair PC 4000 Ram, ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128 @ 425/365, Abit IC7-G motherboard etc.. and wanted to know if upgrading to a X850 PE, X800 PE or X800XL (either of the choices) would be a wise decision or not. I'm just wondering if these video cards would be too powerful for this system or not and whether or not I should upgrade the system completely before upgrading to the next video card. (I'm also considering if it ever comes out the ATI video card with 512MB, 24/32pipelines etc.)

your card is still decent, i wouldnt upgrade now. I would upgrade later when some new technologies are introduced.

Well lets say the card died (it didn't but hypothetically) and wanted to replace the card with the above choices, would it be a good idea? I mostly want to know if the current generation cards would be bottle necked by this system or not.

they wouldn't be bottlenecked at all. many ppl game with much lower-spec cpu's without any problems.

Don't worry about upgarding now, your all good and their's new cards just around the corner

If you do want to upgrade, DONT GET THE X850 XT Platinum Edition!! Its like $300 more than the X850 XT for only a 20mhz increase in clock speed. Thx X850 XT is extrememly powerful, i run half life 2 at highest settings and scored 75.5 fps on CS: Source with it.

Don't upgrade unless you are going to go for the 6800 GT. If you want to go ATI, wait for the R520, which will have Pixel Shader 3.0 and will be able to play new games maxed out unlike the X800/X850 series.

waynejkruse10 said:
probly because its overclocked

BINGO! I'm surprised he didn't just "assume" that it was overclocked when I said @3.5GHZ 250MHZ FSB. I'm also wondering if my current system was running at default speeds (2.8GHZ 200FSB) would be the bottleneck if I were to put in an X800 PE, X850XT, X800XL or not. Just seems that because most systems have been hovering around 2.8-3.4GHZ that default clocked systems should be fine as well.

BTW if possible, could anyone guide me to a site with a list where a certain graphics card should be paired with particular CPUs to be in balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom