Custom computer won't post

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
My wife bought the parts to build a computer for my birthday.

She bought:

2.6 GHz P4 800 FSB
FIC P4-865PE Max Motherboard
ATI All-In-Wonder 8x AGP graphics card
256 MB DDR Ram
80 GB harddrive
4 format DVD writer

I installed everything, and the computer won't post or display anything on monitor. I uninstalled the harddrive and DVD writer, and computer still nothing. I have checked all connections, and all seem to be fine.

Motherboard does not have built in video, and monitor works fine on my other computer.

Could the problem be that the motherboard isn't recognizing the graphics card? Is there a jumper someplace that I've missed to change to 800 FSB for the CPU? Or is it something else that I'm missing?

Thanks

if you have not done so yet connect your pc speaker(not the amplified speakers) into your motherboard and reset your BIOS. double check that you have the power switch & power LED connected into the motherboard correctly. you may have the power switch connected to the wrong pins.

tell us what is happening when you try to turn on the computer. examples: fans spinning for a second and stop, nothing (meaning no power), beeping (if so decribe the beeps, a long continuous beep, short beep followed by a long beep, ect).

and any other information that will help us

first thing, try using the video card in another pc
second... try using an older video card and sticking it in the new pc..
that should tell you right there if the video card is bad..
now if either of those options do not work.. maybe try sticking an older chip into the board? hrm..

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I've had to help my father-in-law today, and still am helping him. I havn't had a chance to try any of your suggestion yet, but I will tell you what I remember.

All of the fans seem to work, cpu fan, case fan, and mobo fan. I can hear the had drive spin up, and the computer tries to read the DVD drive.

The mobo fan has three pairs of leds behind it that are flashing. My father-in-law said that it is flashing an error code of some sore, but I do not remember the order the lights were flahsing in. I will have to go home to check on that.

I will have to look for another video card to place in the new computer, because it has always been built into the mobo before. I don't even know if my old desktop can support the new video card.

Thanks for your help so far.

yeah that seems like a video card problem since everything runs but you get no video. like demalli says you should try another video card or plug your monitor back into the onboard video card. go into CMOS setup and disable the onboard video. shut down and plug the monitor back into the new video card.

if that desn't work and you need the onboard video working again you probably will need to reset your BIOS. your motherboard a manual will tell you where to short the pins with the jumpers to reset.

ekÆsine said:
yeah that seems like a video card problem since everything runs but you get no video. like demalli says you should try another video card or plug your monitor back into the onboard video card. go into CMOS setup and disable the onboard video. shut down and plug the monitor back into the new video card.

if that desn't work and you need the onboard video working again you probably will need to reset your BIOS. your motherboard a manual will tell you where to short the pins with the jumpers to reset.
and also take out the (not onboard) video card

I pulled the AGP graphics card out, and put in a PCI video card. There is no onboard video, so I didn't have to do anything for that. The computer still does the same thing. No video to monitor, and no system beep telling me the computer has posted.

The LED's being for looks only explains why I haven't been able to find any error codes pertaining to them.

Anybody have any more ideas?

monitor works fine on my other computer. Besides, unless I got the speaker hooked up wrong, shouldn't I hear the system beep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom