AMD launching dual core Athlons tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew the Opterons were going to hit the market on the 21st, but I didn't know about the desktops.

As far as the FX vs dual-core goes that's pretty much a given. Games just aren't multithreaded, but damn if they start utilizing dual core that'll be sweet

A dual core FX-55... or, by that time, a dual core FX-59.

We'll be able to play Quarter-Life 5 while compiling a few videos, rendering some 3D objects, and downloading the entire NYC phone book...

Those things sound sweet...
i dont think i need a replacement soon though. my 3200 winchestor is equal to a P4 3.8ghz in some tests. I just want the FX-53's and FX-55's to drop in price. a lot.

Also, do u need a special mobo for dual core? Or are they gonna be for a standard socket 939?

Yeah, basically if you are a gamer or along the lines of a gamer you won't make much use of the dualies as single threaded processors will still clean in single threaded processes.

AMD says they'll have "gaming" dualies out by 2006 which seem like a good upgrade option when that time comes.

Until then however, a nice San Diego core seems like its fine for me unless dualies are affordable and just too good to pass up. I have a feeling they will run hot which I don't exactly care for though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom