MY CPU IS GOING 100% all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is running in the background it sounds like hogging your resources. Try "run" then "msconfig" maybe that'll help ya narrow it down. Or with Win XP it would be "services.msc".

Just out of curiousity, what kind of firewall/ virus protection do you have. The reason I ask Is I had the same thing happen to me once, and it was because a worm was hogging my resourse in the background. This was a couple of years ago before I installed a firewall and just had a virus protection program.

i don't think you are getting ahywhere with this. i would reinstall you operating system. if you have a restore CD that came with the computer use it. if you can save all your important data (if any) before you procede.

after the reinstall immediately install a virus scanner and scan everything. you may have a fast spreading worm/ virus. you can download a free trial download of symantec norton anti-virus or mcaffee(spelling?) virus scanner.

I should wait with reinstalling OS utill trying at least two things:

1: You mentioned that svchost.exe was taking up a lot of your cpu power. A common worm (msblast) infects this file. I'm not sure you have it, but I would recommend a check-up.

2: Read your mobo manual carefully and check your bios settings. Most bioses has some settings for the cpu, changing them did the trick for someone else with the same problem (and me many years back :) ). Removing the battery on you mobo, and shorting 2 specific pins (differs somewhat from mobo to mobo) will restore the default settings for your bios. which pins? read your mobo manual!

If you don't have your mobo manual, check your model name (printed on the mobo) and search for the manual online.

GL :)

k

how do I check my BIOS Settings

and also on the mobo site for driver upgrades it also has BIOS Upgrades... just letting you know

wait till you've ruled everything else out before updating your bios -- it's not without risk..

During POST (when the system checks ram etc. the first thing that'll happen when you switch the power on) press 'del' (it's usually del anyways, it usually tells you what to press -- If you can read fast enough).

Now you are in your bios setup. You can try loading system defaults, but I would really recommend reading your mobo manual before changing any settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom