Advice on Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

truebe

In Runtime
Ok, so some of you really helped me out before, im not sure who, i think it was dale, diablo and a few others that helped me pick out everything, but i wanted to know what you guys think about this...

First the computer im saving for is this:

AMD64 3200+
G-Skill 1GB (512x2) pc4400
ASUS A8N n-FORCE 4 SLI
Creative Audigy 2 zs
eVGA 6600GT
19" PureFlat CRT
MX510
Windows XP Pro
Aspire case
Thermaltake PSS 430W
Zalman CPU Cooler

$1500

Ok, So heres the question, if i dropped the g-skill and just got some corsair xms and i dropped the monitor and got a cheapass one, and then instead of those i got a 6800GT would it be better? This computer would mainly be used for gaming.

All comments are appreciated,

Truebe

ok you have to be more detailed. a link would be nice too. persoanlly if your looking for high end graphics, ATI is the way to go, they are now having some nice dealls on the x800's. another thing, never go value with your moniter. your eyes are always worth a investment.

First, yeah it may be a good idea to get a cheaper monitor if your going for a crt, but with lcd don't go cheap. This could be a good thing if you have spare desk space since crts don't get dead pixels and don't have any ghosting effects whatsoever. But nowdays lcds are much faster so chances are you prob won't notice any ghosting with an ms of 12 or faster. For the graphics, some people prefer lcd graphics and some people think games look better on crts. If you do get a crt make sure you get a flatscreen. And you also talked about dropping down from G.Skill to xms, all I got to say is that if you need to drop down in memory to get a better video card, this would be a good situation to do so. The 6800GT is much faster, but if you want to save a few bucks don't be afraid to go for the x800xl, unless you plan on playing doom3. So then if you really want an lcd, and can't afford to upgrade to the 6800GT just from going from G.Skill to XMS, you can get the x800xl. A plus would be letting me know if you would mind using a crt, and what games you play.

I love the look of the ati cards (especially the x800xl) at the moment, but you need to be warned that pixel shader 3 will be used in all new games, so until ati supports that, you will not get your money's worth from it.

About the monitor, how about using your old one?

I recomend, getting a amd 64 3000, and with the money saved, spend it on the monitor (unless if there is only $5 difference.)

Will you be overclocking?

I love the look of the ati cards (especially the x800xl) at the moment, but you need to be warned that pixel shader 3 will be used in all new games, so until ati supports that, you will not get your money's worth from it.

So, ATI drivers may support shader 3 soon? Because I just bought an x800xl and if future games will be using it and ATI doesn't support it, thats bad news for me. If they do end up supporting shader 3, will old ATI cards support it through new drivers? Sorry for the nooby question, but I am still sort of a noob.

K...

The games i play are HL2, CS, CS:S, FarCry and i plan on getting Doom 3. So pretty much high end games. I also heard that HL2 was made specifically for ati cards, sorta off topic but is this true?

The monitor is flat and its $150, heres link

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-197-002&depa=0

bad monitor?

I do plan on using CRT

Alright to answer another thing i wont be able to use my current monitor because its going to stay with this computer, yeah, my parents are jacking it.

Ok, Overclocking, I do plan to overclock and thats why i am getting the g-skill, but if i got xms and a 6800GT would this be better?

If i dont get the monitor i will probably get one from my friend, although its a total piece of crap, haha.

I would rather go with nvidia then ati. I have a nvidia card right now and its never failed me before. Well, now its old but it lasted a good 3 years.

Ok, Thanks

Truebe

Yeah, if your going to play doom3 don't go with ATI. That looks like a good monitor as far as I can tell. I would choose xms and 6800GT over the G.Skill and 6600GT. Also, you could get OCZ ram which is better than xms I think. When I got mine it was only 10 USD more than xms.

Yeah Ill be getting some speakers, just need to fund some cheap 5.1 speakers. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom