well......

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenyarEel

Solid State Member
I was thinking about installing Linux or some variation...so i can familarize myself with the system.....

What am I wondering if how i should go about it, or any good websites with tips.....i want to keep it Win XP on my computer though.....and i'm guessing it will be better to make my smallish 9GB slave the one with linux on it to seperate the two OSs.

Anyone have some good advice for getting started.

some people will tell you if you want to run both you switch in and out you have to have a program i forgot what its calleed but it allows you to switch between linux and winXP. and a web site peolpe have show me is linuxiso.org there is where you can download some distro's.

well, i don't intend on splitting my main hard drive into two partitions......

i was thinking of putting Linux on the 9gb slave i have attached

well i think you can but i have never done that so i cant tell you. But i think you can you just have to set-up your harddrive. Or what til someone esle can help sorry i cant.

Yes you can put Linux on that partition. Firstly download a distribution of Linux and burn it to a CD. Then boot your computer from the CD and follow the installer, installing to the other drive when you get the option. You will have to format the drive as ext2 probably, this is done in the install process.

Linux should also detect Windows, and the bootloader (usually LILO or Grub) will give you the option of either OS when you start the computer.

One more thing, when you burn the CD, make sure that you choose the "Burn CD Image" option.

Alcohol 120% does a good job, but you can also use Nero, or any other burning program.

yea, i was probably going to use Nero, any suggestions on which "brand/version" of linux to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom