Problem w/ RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan DeVille

In Runtime
When I click Properties on My Computer my RAM only shows 0.97GB, but it should be 1 GB(1024MB). I checked the BIOS and it shows 1024MB, so what is the problem? Is this normal?

well, since windows automatically allocates specail addresses in memory for its own functional use and blocks it from access by other applications, that maybe the reason for the discrepencies.

I'm at work right now so I can't download cpu-z yet, but I do remember a program I have (not sure which one) that's only showing 998 MB. So where can the other 26MB be? Come out come out where ever you are!

killians45 said:
well, since windows automatically allocates specail addresses in memory for its own functional use and blocks it from access by other applications, that maybe the reason for the discrepencies.
You make it sound so evil. Keep in mind, that heavy-handed VM allocation approach was the result of idiotic programmers and programs with uncontrolled memory allocations.

When Windows grabs up a chunk of memory for its own use, this does NOT get reflected in the system properties seen in the right-click properties dialog. If you have 512mb of RAM, windows will report 512mb, even if 128 has already been sucked up.

My guess is that you've got some funny RAM. Run a memcheck on it, or get new RAM.

Also, is this RAMBUS?

The properties pane works on a percentage, not an actual number. If you have 1024mb of RAM, it will get reported as "1.0 Gig of RAM"

If you're getting something less than 1.0, and you have 1 gig of RAM in there, then something's either wrong with the mobo, or the RAM. Update EVERYTHING (BIOS, northbridge, processor, OS, everything!) and see if there's a change. If not, chuck the RAM back and get new RAM.

Or, first run a memcheck, and if that doesn't turn anything up, do the above routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom