Please advise on $2500 PC for videowork

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little over your price range, and it's just the core components but it would be really good for video work, the prices were taken from www.overclockers.co.uk

1 Intel Pentium 4 660 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.6GHz (800FSB) £359.95

1 Abit AA8 DURAMAX (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard £87.50

1 Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-4300 TwinX Pro Low Latency 2 x512 £189.95

1 BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express £329.95

2 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6B300SO SATA 16MB Cache £219.90

1 HP dvd640i Dual Layer 16x LightScribe DVD±RW ReWriter £52.50

1 Enermax Coolergiant 480W EG485AX-VHB(G) SFMA ATX2.0 PSU £59.95

Subtotal £1,299.70 _
VAT £227.45 _
Total £1,527.15 _

Carl

Swanster, you forgot its cheaper to buy things in America.

To make a couple of changes, get a 6800gt (do you need that much power even? I never done any video editing) 2gb of ram, you probally don't need performance ram and get a Antec/ocz/Thermaltake psu.

yeah, it is cheaper in the usa, but the site h linked to was in the uk, so I did it appropriatley. Also I was torn between a better graphics card or 2gb of RAM, I chose the card

Carl

Thanks for the accounting Swanster, but whoa you reformed my entire system! I am was convinved that that HDD array was ideal for video work.
system disk= 1x maxtor diamondmax10 250gb
media disk= 2x maxtor diamondmax10 250gb
scratcch disk= 1x WDraptor74gb

and signle CPU, you think so? the adobe suite loves dual, plus it'd give better perfomance than that prescott would it not? the 2gb of ram was so i could have 3 or 4 adobe applications open simultaneously and take advantage of the feature of being able to "jump" between the applications when working on a project.

The new Dual Core P4 3.2GHz EE 840 have been benchmarked and reported to be fantasic for multimedia applications. The performance increase is very noticable.

I might build a Media Center PC in a few months and i'm banking on using one of those. Unless the AMD Dual Core Benchmarks are better, which I doubt they will be for Multimedia apps.

I've been kind of biased against single CPUs ever since I figured out that you might as well pay the same amount of money getting 2xCPUs of slightly less power and running them dual.. I dunno.. Adobe stuff loves dual procs.

You are going to want two 74gb 10,000 rpm raptors in RAID 0. Those will run your operating system, programs, and everything of that nature, because they are so fast.
Then you could get a couple 120gb drives in RAID 1 for storage. :)

I never had one and I don't want to start any flame wars but I heard powermac G5's are good for multimedia stuff like video editing or audio. But I think they are expensive so I don't know how good you could do with $2500. That is just my 50 cents but remember I have never had mac so I don't know how true that is.

for the record, Macs are very powerful for vid editing. If there is one thing macs specialize in, its media work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom