Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trotter said:
Copy and paste what it says under the heading Main Circuit Board.

System Model

Asset Tag: 0123ABC

Main Circuit Board

Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 062710 07/15/97

Amidamaru,

I don't think that it is your BIOS that you need to update, but rather your AGP divers.

Here's a link:http://www.pcchipsusa.com/download-mainframe.asp

Go there. Choose "AMD K7 (Socket 462)" from the drop-down menu on the left. When the screen comes up, click on " Please click here to link to old models driver page." Scroll down to the "Socket A (AMD K7) section. Your exact mobo is not listed, but M810L is (my guess, it is the same as yours as far as drivers). Click "M810L (V7.1c)". Scroll down to "AGP Driver" and choose your location on the drop-down menu.

There are no garaunties with this, but it is the best I could find.

I don't know about all of the numbers, but "071595" is your BIOS release date, "SiS730S" is your graphics chip, and "M810LR" is your mobo model number.

The thing to ask yourself is this: If this screws the pooch, am I willing to buy a new mobo? A decent Socket A mobo is dirt cheap these days. Such as this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-488&depa=1

MSI "K7N2GM-V" NVIDIA nForce2 IGP Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL
FSB: 400/333/266MHz
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 3x PCI
Ports: 2x PS/2, 1x LPT, 1x VGA, 1x COM, 8x USB2.0(Rear 4), 1x RJ45, Audio Ports
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
SATA: 2x SATA

This leaves your current mobo sitting in the dust. It can handle any Socket A CPU out there, has more slots, AGP 8X, SATA, and more. All for $58.49USD (and that even includes shipping).

Bottom line is, are you willing to take the risk, and if it doesn't work and you can't recover, are you willing to spend a few bucks to get it going again?

Yeah, ill be getting a completely new pc soon but for now this PC will have to do until i get all the money i need. I am updating mostly everything. Was just wondering about it.

If updating your drivers doesn't work.. did you try the obvious setup in Bios? Default AGP detection should be "auto" but if you know your card is 4x you should be able to manually select 4x in bios.
If that option's not available, are you sure your MB supports AGP 4x?

Passing all of that, then I would look into a bios update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom