Urgent help required: Installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the XP install on the drive with this configuration? I've seen messages like this on my servers, but XP still installed. It usually just means that RAID isn't configured properly, which it isn't because it's disabled :). If it won't install, try disabling SATA as well and trying to install.

With RAID disabled it wont go past the boot device segment, I'm assuming the stage before windows boots and the logo appears.

I'll try disabling SATA, thanks very much.

Edit: well its got to the initial install (copying files bit) with SATA disabled.. however it can't find the hard drive (I guess it wouldn't?)

When installing XP, there's an option to load SCSI or RAID if you press F8 when asked. Try loading your RAID driver there first. You may have to turn RAID and SATA back on to try though.

EricB said:
you seem to have a hardware issue somewhere

some thing isn't working or you have something plug in the wrong spot. try new ram and see if that is it. also set your bios to their fail safe default levels

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Could there be anything specific in the wrong place or not correctly installed.. or just generally? I'll double check.

mdainow said:
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Could there be anything specific in the wrong place or not correctly installed.. or just generally? I'll double check.

usually when it stop that late in the game it's a ram issue. when it stop early it's usually a bad hard drive.

use the power max utility in my signature to test the hard drive.

Hard drive fully passed with no errors. It got me thinking and I found a similar program to test the ram.

Memory found was 1023mbs (I'm assuming it can be a little off) Benchmark was 2043mb/s. Didn't find any errors.

If you have a spare hard drive, install it in your new computer and see if you can install a working XP on it. If that works, then it's an SATA RAID hard drive problem. If not, than you may have some other hardware problem.

Unfortunately I don't, the only hard drive I have is an IDE from my old computer. It already has a working XP on it but made a quick blue screen and reboot when I try to use it. I read some where that this can be caused by installing the hard drive with a Windows installed from another motherboard on it. Its got quite alot of things I wish to keep (and plan to transfer over) so I'd prefer it if I didn't reinstall xp on it with a potential to screw things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom