pitfalls of changing cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello
I am just about to upgrade my computer case.
can you guys tell me what are the pitfalls, what precaustions should i take?

Well, there are a lot of things you must take into consideration. But, if you would like our help, it would be nice if you could list what the specs are of your current PC. Then we could help you better.

One thing I can warn you about is, "Don't buy a case that comes with a PSU." They are always very low quality.

List your specs and i can help.

JKust be in general careful. Other than that, you should be okay.

Also... check the computer and make sure it runs before you bolt everything down tight. It can be a real pain to have to yank everything out again.

i am moving to an antec sonata,
it comes with an antec truepower 380 watt

how do i make sure there is nothing to short circuit?

do i need to wear a wrsit strap?

my specs are
mobo gigabyte 81875 ultra
P4 - 2.8 GHZ
80 Gig Hard drive
512 MB RAM
nvidia 5700

my understanding is that i just need to remove the ethernet card and the video card & IDE cables to move the mobo (with the CPU and RAM) to my new case, correct?

yea your correct on moving just make sure that, there is no exapion slot cards and cards connected to the mobo and then your able to move it.

Meh? You don't need a wrist strap. I made my PC, didn't screw up. Make sure that you are not doing this on a crpeted area, touch the case twice, if it's metal, to get the static out of your body.

If you're not going to use an anti-static device, be sure the first thing you touch on the motherboard is shielded, such as an I/O port.

Touching the case won't match your potential with the mobo if they're separated.

This is what I've learned in my studying, anyway. I don't have a lot of personal experience when it comes to upgrading/building systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom