Amd Xp2400 Cooling Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

1OLDROADIE

Beta member
I am using a MSI board with an XP2000 cpu and standard AMD fan. the CPU run well within the normal temperature range.

I bought an XP2400 cpu with fan from tigerdirect and installed it with the new fans pre applied thermal paste.......the cpu temp rocketed up instantly.

I pulled it apart found no problems nor missteps, applied new silver thermal paste....same overheat.

tried the AMD fan off the XP200 cpu...sameold sameold.

Reinstalled the XP2000 with original fan ...no problems.

Did I get a bad cpu? or is there a secret I don't know?

can you list temps for both CPU's. did you make sure to plug the fan back into the mobo, sounds stupid but possible. if you are expecting the temps for the xp2400 to be the same as a xp2000 than that could be why you are thinking it is too hot.

depending on the motherboard you have, the same processor will run at different temps. my xp2500 runs 10C hotter in my asus mobo than in my biostar, both are nforce 2.

but if your xp2400 is running higher than 55degrees celcius under full load than that is a problem. that could mean you have a bad CPU, but it could also mean a lot of other things like maybe the thermal sensor is reading the temps wrong. have you tried touching the CPU heatsink? it should be only warm, if it's too hot than you definately are overheating

the XP2000 runs at under 50C while the XP2400 rockets to 70C+ which where my autoshutoff is set.

Is there any physical differences between the two cpu's?

I really hate to get into the normal pi$$ing contest that is involved with returns of defective stuff.

also look in your BIOS make sure your CPU isn't being overclocked by accident. you can view the CPU speed in windows byt clicking

start button>> run

type in dxdiag in the run box and tell us the CPU speed (1920mhz)

but 70C is too damn hot, you are near total CPU failure soon if you run that for too long.

i have an overclocked 1800+ running at 2.2ghz on an asus a7v8x-x and it runs at 47 C and mobo at 39 with retail heatsink/fan

At least your's work! :)

I have a similar prob, i had a amd xp 2000+ working on a asus a7v8x board and now i have a amd xp 2400+, but the moment I connect it, the computer immediatly stops, half a second after I push the on button. Works well with the 2000 but with the 2400...... the 2400 isn't damaged, because it works perfectly on a a7n8x board. I am not stupid, just slow (ahah); can anyone help me? Thankz in advance.

P.S. - I checked the manual and there is no reference to a jumper requirement!

check if your CPU fan is running and plugged into the CPU_FAN1 connection. sounds obvious but i did that a few weeks ago and was wondering why my CPU was running 60C, hehe. the fan turned on made a 25C decrease :p

and also if you are using thermal pad, scrape it off with a pice of plastic or wipe it off with a cotton pad and apply thermal paste.

I have heard that amd does not ship adequeate fans with its high end retail cpu's. You may want to try another fan than the amd shipped one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom