a socket motherboard /w dual processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
hahah i just probably bought a dual processor motherboard for like 12 dollars.

anyways, i think it supports up to was it amd 800 mghz cpu or pentium 2 cpu, anwyays im not sure.

Would 2 pentium 2 processors or amd processors compare up to maybe a pentium 3 ? ^_^

Sure, in a way, however processors do not "team up", they simply divide a workload in half. They will still run at their current individual speeds though....
I hope you get the results you're looking for.

-Michael

actually i was just doing it cuz i never had a dual processor motherboard before ^_^

In that case, I'm sure you'll like the results.

I can think of an analogy like file sharing.....sometimes you seem to be downloading a file at 300Kps, however when you look closely, you might be getting a chunk of the file from Anonymous Person #1 at 20Kps, Anonymous Person #2 @ 10Kps, Anonymous Person #3 @ 50Kps and so on that builds up to 300Kps.....works the same way.

-Michael

The really cool thing about dual boards is that you can assign application to specific Processors. Also, if the application you are using is Dual processor enabled, you can really see results.
Adobe Premier is one that is like that. ONe of my systems is a dual 1.26 P3t (512k L2) and I can rip though videos in no time. My 2.8 HTp4 takes 3 to 4x longer.
I love Dual machines, but they are really for special use, not gaming or surfing. Video editing, rendering, things like that is where you will see the benifit. And Only use win2kPro for your box. XP is still working out Dual processor bugs...

Jesus H. Christ! I didn´t even know that was possible! I have 2 pc's with that kind of board, using just the slot1 type cpu's, a p2 at 233 and a p3 at 500 (small pc's, one downloading stuff from emule and the other just being used for netmeeting, both connected 24 hours per day) but i never even thought of puting another processor on the other socket. I have an extra cpu, an amd at 166, if i am not mistaken... can i put them together?

If you run dual processors in a machine they must be the same type and speed. And you also need a dual processor capable OS.

Oh, and on Dual chips, it helps if they are from the same batch as well. That is what Intel told me a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom