Processor Upgrade Possibilities, Need Help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeZ_NutZ_805

Baseband Member
ok....heres my situation, im usin an hp pavilion 6830 mx...with this system it uses an intel celeron 700mhz/128/66/1.7v chip

i have a P3 800mhz/256/133/1.7v chip that i wouldnt mind puttin into my system....i actually loaded the chip in, booted fine...but in 'My Computer' properties, it only reads as 601mhz

where as my intel 700mhz reads at 701mhz

here are some specs on my comp (thanx to the belarc program) :

Operating System
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

System Model
00101700 6830 15293700061011
System Serial Number: 2262HPPAV3

Processor a
700 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: Asus CUW-AM/MEW-AM 2.06
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.06 11/17/00

im not sure where to start lookin as to chip upgrade capabilities...so hopefully someone here can help...any more info needed, lemme know

(jus in case ur wondering...once the p3 was in, the pc booted jus fine, slightly faster but still read as a slower speed in the 'My Computer' properties....)

Yeah, I would bet the problem has to due with the fsb and the different multipliers in the two chips. The old celeron's had a fsb of 66MHz. I believe the old Pentium had a fsb of 133MHz. That would put the multipliers for the chips at around 10.5 for the Celeron and 6 for the Pentium. The board might be maxed at 100MHz fsb or something giving you the 600MHz reading (100x6). Since it is an HP, you probably don't have any access in the BIOS to change that, in which case your screwed.

Just kind of guess's at this point, but...

What you should do is download CPU-Z. Run it and it will tell you the brand and model of your mobo. You can then search for it and see what chips it is compatible with and fsb information.

It's exactly like idiotec said, your FSB is not fast enough, could be because of RAM but it's likely the motherboard.

smiffjunior2005, i have no clue as to setting the fsb and multipliers honestly, how would i go about doing that if that is honestly an option at this point? (no motherboard manual, stock mobo upon purchase)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for idiotec :

heres the info cpu-z gives me, as u can see it gives no mention of my motherboard manufacturer...

if it means anything, as to the boards origin, the motherboard in this system is stock, by that i mean its what came with the comp...

my previous post indicates the only information as to my motherboard i could find with any programs

cpu-z1.jpg

cpu-z2.jpg

cpu-z3.jpg

cpu-z4.jpg

cpu-z5.jpg

cpu-z6.jpg

as stated before, any help is appreciated, im guessin im prolly not gonna be able to tweak this board in any wayu to accept the p3, but just getting as much info as possible to i guess 'somewhat understand' the situation with the chips themselves

Yeah, I think your pretty much screwed. If you look under "Clocks" in the first pic you will see that in fact it is at a 66MHz fsb. In order for the P3 to work correctly it would need to run at a 133MHz fsb.

Since it seems that board doesn't run 133MHz fsb stock, you would have to OC the board to get the chip to run at 800MHz.

For shit's and giggles, you can press the delete key during bootup and try to get to the BIOS. Look around and see if there is by any chance a way to change the fsb to 133 (might be shown as 33 due to 4x multipler). I highly doubt it since its an HP, but who knows.

Also, if you want, it would be interesting to see what CPU-Z shows with the P3 in and that it in fact is maxing out at 100MHz fsb.

You shoudl really get a new computer, seriously! You can get a real good one for about 500 dollars US, custom built.

well idiotec, check back in this post later...ill put the p3 in, and run the program real quick and post the results...

thanx for the help...

belarc reads the processor as :

Processor a
600 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

heres the images of the first 2 tabs from cpu-z with the p3 in....

cpu-z7.jpg

cpu-z8.jpg

Yep, it is maxing out at 100fsb, that is your problem. So unless you can go into the BIOS and change it, that is all your going to get.

Oh wait, one more thing, post a pic of the memory tab. Even though the P3 is only running at 600MHz, the effect of putting it in there is basically overclocking the rest of the system. Your fsb is up to 100, meaning your RAM and mobo is being OC'd basically.

You know, even though the P3 is only running at 600MHz, I bet it is still faster than the Celeron at 700MHz. It would be interesting to run some bench's both way's and see what was faster. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom