too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
Okay guys, if any of you remember at christmas i bought a 2.8gig p4 chip and pc and no matter how many bios settings I changed the clock couldnt get past 2.5ghz. I still have that problem, the multiplier is fixed at 12, the ram is 2500(166 max) nd the only real controls i have is over ratio fsb to cpu.

If any of you can help with that thatl be great - in the meantime can anyone tell me why an underclocked 2.8gig chip is breaching 90 degrees? It doesnt do much work it idles most of the time, I dont play games too often but the temps are incredibly high, im just wondering if this is normal, oh and by the way I have an antec 380w psu, a hard disk cooler, 2 case fans, a copper base p4 cooler and obviously my gfx card has a fan too - that totals 7 (hd cooler has 2) so do i need more? Im purchasing a new case in 2 weeks so let me know if i need anything else to go with it.

Cheers
Kris

Okay guys, if any of you remember at christmas i bought a 2.8gig p4 chip and pc and no matter how many bios settings I changed the clock couldnt get past 2.5ghz. I still have that problem, the multiplier is fixed at 12, the ram is 2500(166 max) nd the only real controls i have is over ratio fsb to cpu.
Well, there is a problem there. The multiplier for the 2.8 P4 should be 14, not 12. I would try a bios update and see if recognizes the chip correctly.

If any of you can help with that thatl be great - in the meantime can anyone tell me why an underclocked 2.8gig chip is breaching 90 degrees?
Is that Celcius? If so, YES, that is WAY too hot. If it is Fahrenheit, no worries, your all good.

oh dear i think i need nitrogen or something, what shall i do? Point being i love my pc and built it very lovingly, i dont mind spending whilst getting this new case so any sugegstions? I know i could always get more case fans but do case fans really have an effect? do i need to consider watercooling? Is there any piping i can get to directly link the case fan to the cpu fan so the ehat gets transferred directly?

Any suggestions,
oh yeah and ive replaced the mobo twice and it stil lruns by default at 1.6ghz, i managed to wrench it to 2.4 but cant get no higher.

Are you sure that the fans are working? Get rid of the dust, and spray some WD-40 on the motor. Increased my my fan speen by 2463 RPM!!

CELSIUS MAN CELSIUS OH NOEES!!!
It almost sounds like a bad reading, because I can't even see it runing at that temp and not shutting down :eek:

You said you have replaced the mobo, were the temps the same before and after? This is what I would try:
1. Update BIOS and check temps again, if the same then
2. Take of the HSF from the CPU, clean the surface of the chip and the HS. Apply AS5 and put the HS back on and check it again.
oh yeah and ive replaced the mobo twice and it stil lruns by default at 1.6ghz, i managed to wrench it to 2.4 but cant get no higher.
1.6 huh, I bet the damn mobo only has 533 fsb. Post the exact specs (links if you can) for the chip and the mobo.

sure thing boss, got the manual right here:
The chip i beleive is 533, mobo supports anything up to 800 (so it says).
The mobo supports Hyperthreading, ram up to 3200, its a mercury 5i5661fx (i think its 5 might be s)
Other mobo i tried was a p4mam-v. I veleive it may have eben an msi but so lojng ago i cant remember.

oh and the temps havent been a problem, maybe ill try keeping it off unless i really need it

The chip i beleive is 533
Oh, its the old P4...

Well as far as that part goes, either way the muliplier should not be 12. It should be 21 if its a 533 fsb or 14 if its a 800 fsb. I would send the chip back if you have tried it on multiple mobos and always the same problem. Something is definately wrong. Were did you buy it? Sure it is actually a 2.8 lol ;) ?

As far as the heat, 90C is way to hot, I would do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom