• 50 or above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
Ok so here's the situation, at the moment i've got a Nividia Geforce FX 5200 128mb (I know it's crap don't say anything). And yes I know that it's outdated too. I was just wondering for a budget of about $350 - $400 (pushing it), what would be a nice gfx card to get? I was thinking of making the switch to ATI for their 9800? or maybe looking at the Nividia 6600 GT?
However even though I haven't got the money... yet lol. I will be looking to buy definetly within a month!

Anyway please dicuss,

- Michael -

personally i would say the Nvidia 6600GT and if you can afford the 6800GT

the best aussie site for hardware is www.centrecom.com.au i have got many parts and many people i know also have. the bad side of the site is that they are usally slow to get your gear

The 6600gt is alot better than the 9800pro (excluding Unreal Tournament 2004)

Where will you be buying it from, so we can see what is avaliable (I don't know of any austrailian sites.

The poll was not a very good idea btw.

You can afford a 6800GT if you don't buy from a retail store. I saw an eVGA on newegg for $380 (don't kknow if they ship to whare you live though). Definatly go with nVidia, their upper end cards (from 6600 on up I think) support the next generation of pixel shaders and pretty much destroy ATI's offerings by a margin of around 20%. Make sure your power supply can handle it though, Nvidia's cards suck a lot of power (you need at least a 350 watt for a 6600GT and 500 is recommended for the 6800s, and minimum for the Ultra), and they are huge, so you may lose a PCI slot.

(you need at least a 350 watt for a 6600GT and 500 is recommended for the 6800s, and minimum for the Ultra)

I got a 6800 running on a Antec 330watt truepower, lol, but don't be as stupid as me and go that close to the limit of the psu. Newegg don't ship internationally either, sadly :'(

You could get an X800 XL. They are $300 and near equal if not equal to the 6800 GT.

Definately Nvidia. Comparing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory IQ on a 6800 series card and on an X800 series card is like night and day, all due to Pixel Shader 3. I hate when ATI fanboys say Pixel Shader 3 is no big deal, because it is a very big deal. ATI has basically ripped everybody with an X800/X850 card off by not giving them Pixel Shader 3.

I was very happy when I bought splinter cell and I say "caching shader model 3 models"

Anyone know a way for me to try using the game without shader model 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom