Quick CPU temp monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
Iv read that some cpu's have a temp sensor inside the core/die(or soemthing like that). but most mobo's also have a temp sensore right under the socket. so that makes 2 sensores right? ther not talking about the same sensor u thy?

my AMI bios reads cpu temp at startup at 30c... but when i run Speedfan, it reads my cpu temp at 22c, 35at full load.

my guess is that there using different sensors? and if so, do u know witch program is reading witch sensor? my guess would be the Bios reads from the internal Core snesor, and Speedfan reads the mobo socket sensor? unless im confused theres only 1 sensor? and does that mean i shouldnt trust Speedfans readings? or vise versa.

its a 2.8 celeron D.

whatever those temps are, you dont need to worry about them. The bios is the most accurate way of getting temps. Either Speedfan is wrong, or your reading the wrong reading. On my computer BIOS says CPU Temp, and MOBO Temp, so make sure you are reading it correctly.

Wayne

Yep, big difference between the two.
I've heard that built-in sensors can be off by more than several degrees - I don't know how true this is - but it may be worthwhile to purchase external sensors to monitor your temps.. especially if you're oc'ing.

no, im not reading them rong.

both readings in bios are pritty equal anyway 28~31.

and both readings in speed fan are pritty equal... 24~22 idle. 31~35 loaded.

i couldnt use Mobo monitor 5, because my bourd isnt supported.

i know theres a temp sensor on my bourd, right in the center of the socket, becuase i saw it b4 installing cpu. so my guess is, Speed fan is using a diff sensor or something, that maynot be as acurate.

guess i dont have to worry though, even if there incorrect, cause i dont OC anyway.

waynejkruse10 said:
yeah, bios is always right

Not alway's true,My old system in bios it said i was running @ 47*c,But 2 different lcd temp display's both said 38*c,Lot's of the time when board's first come out they have a couple bug's,That's why i alway's wait until there is a bios update before i trust that reading.

u cant get an accurate reading of your cpu temp from the outside of the HSF. you would need the sensor right in the middle above the cpu core. temp most likely changes very quickly only a small distence fromt the core.

The BIOS is generally the most accurate reading, and you actually wanna make sure it's monitoring the temperature correctly as it'll be the trigger for the thermal protection shutdown.

However, speedfan has been known to give bad temperature readouts and I would trust the BIOS. Another thing you have consider is that the CPU temperature is always fluctuating based on ambient room temperature, fan RPM, and CPU load. These factors may all lead to different readouts.

Anways, your temperatures are damn fine anyways, 20s are godly as far as I am concerned. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom