FSB Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorKwin

In Runtime
Alright I've got an Athlon XP 2400+ that runs with a FSB of 133 and a mult of 15. Using this wire "trick".... http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod_howto.html ... I can change my mult to anything below 12.5. If I kick up my FSB to 200 and put my mult to 10 my cpu clock speed would still be at it's orginal clock speed. I've been thinking about this and I dont' feel like takin it all apart just to realize it won't work. I've done this trick before but I didn't have a motherboard that supported a higher FSB. I'm just wondering if it would work. Thanx in advance!

Well today I realized that I could just change my mult in the BIOS because my CPU is unlocked (how?). I was messing with it all morning and I can't get my computer to boot into windows with any higher fsb's. I'm dropping the multi and raising the fsb but it's having no effect cause I can't do anythign with it. Even when I try 166 with a lower multi I can't boot into windows. I'm almost sure it's the 420 watt crap PSU that came with this case.

Well today I realized that I could just change my mult in the BIOS because my CPU is unlocked (how?).
If your processor was made before week39 2004 they are unlocked ;)

Leave the multiplier alone, jack the FSB up, and jack the voltage up too! but not too high.
if he has crap RAM that won't OC, or can't lock his AGP/PCI bus then raising his multiplier is the only option he has.

I was messing with it all morning and I can't get my computer to boot into windows with any higher fsb's. I'm dropping the multi and raising the fsb but it's having no effect cause I can't do anythign with it. Even when I try 166 with a lower multi I can't boot into windows. I'm almost sure it's the 420 watt crap PSU that came with this case.
Read my above response. If you can't lock your AGP bus at 66Mhz which automatically locks your PCI bus at 33MHz, then you can't raise your FSB beyond 133 because it runs in a ratio with the CPU's FSB

For that particular CPU the ratio is 4:2:1

that's CPU/AGP/PCI

I tried rasing the voltage. My AGP/PCI is locked. I have pc3200 ram so I know I can hit 200fsb. I'm pretty sure it's my psu cause any kind of overclocking I do, I can't get it to load windows. I used to run it at 2.225mhz but then all my USB hubs and ports were all messed up and my usb mouse wouldn't work. Now even with my computer at stock speeds my mouse acts like it is unpluged and then plugs itself back in so I'm forced to use a ps/2 mouse. :mad: Does this sound like a PSU issue?

PS/2 mice are better IMO......anywho back to the problem :)

Use a monitoring program like motherboard monitor 5 or speedfan and check what your voltages are running at. Run prime95 and see if your +12v line drops down to 11.5 or lower in which case I'd have to agree that your PSU is giving you troubles

I've done that already but I have the exact opposite result. On the +12v line, it raises to about 12.8v. I can tell because when I enter a game or anything quite CPU intensive, my fans speed up. Not much but enough for me to notice. And about that ps/2 mouse thing.... ps/2 could be better or not I don't know but this particular ps/2 mouse cost me about $5 and it drives me crazy. It's also a ball mouse. A bad one at that. Heck I just noticed when I'm looking at my desktop and nothing really is running my +12v line is at 12.5-6!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom