hiya

ive got a toshiba satellite laptop
1.8Ghz
1 GB RAM
80GB Hard disk
XP home SP2

it was fine for a few weeks that i had it
after a while it started booting up slow
it used to be up in 5-10 seconds, but now it takes close to 20-30.

im not sure what has been done cos my dad fiddles with it, trying to get broadband working

ive used spybot S&D and fixed everyhting it found, and did a full scan with norton 2005, and ixed all the problems that brought up

this had no real change on the boot up speed.

i really dont know what else to do to fix this

any help would be hot

thx

go start run > then type "msconfig", go to the start up tab and disable things you dont need

Defrag perhaps? You might also want to try BootVis (I think it's avaliable from Mircosoft), that seems to speed things up, though I have no idea how to use it.
BootVis

EDIT: Was SP2 installed around the time that you start experiencing slow boots? This happened on my machine when I installed the service pack and it's been slow ever since.

if i analyze the hard disk it tells me i dont need to defrag

SP2 has been on the whole time

go start run > then type "msconfig", go to the start up tab and disable things didnt help

i really dont wanna use BootVis cos ive herd it can stuff u ur comp in rare occasions, and i cant risk that

i just wanna restore my comp to how it used to be.

i dunno why it is suddenly slower

Chrono said:
if i analyze the hard disk it tells me i dont need to defrag

Try downloading Microsoft Anti-Spyware.

You should still run defrag on a regular basis. It will make your hard drive happy and perform better.

Have you recently updated zone alarm . My zone alarm was causing slow boot up. Switched to windows firewall---fixed it.

hmm bout loosing ur stuff i doubt thatd happen. back it up now while its easy! if u think its spyware or adware or mal way or even a virus.. use online scans
also us adware personal... let it run almost alone its a resourse hog when it scans.. but it always comes up with some good stuff u didn't knwo was there lol. also when u turn ur computer off make sure it turns off right... if u turn it off wrong it boots up slower. if u turn it OFF then on it is slower than a reboot..

Hrm, do the msconfig, that's the most abrasive try. Where is it lagging though? Where the status bar runs, when it gets into windows and starts prgms, etc..?

well my comp was fast when it first booted, but i installed software and that was too much for my machine. Maybe too much software is installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom