SATA Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
ive been looking at a dfi mobo for socket 939 and i see these sata support and raid. i have just read up about what they are and stuff. What can you connect them to on your computer. and whats the purpose of them both.

Raid is the use of hard drives to speed up transfer rates, and SATA is the connection you use to do RAID. Anyways SATA is just a new way of connecting a hard drive to the computer for improved performance.

to the hard and is there even other componts that i can connect sata to or the harddrive is the only one.

Yea...and you mean IDE cable, the cable that connects PATA drives to the mobo. The harddrive is the only one i've seen so far that uses SATA. And you look like you have trouble w/ Hard drive specs (no offence meant) SATA2 is the next generation of SATA. SATA doubles the transfer rate and is backward compatible with SATA. SATA2 boards are good, but they shouldn't be the deciding factor when choosing a board.

You can't just decide to use a SATA cable dark. Your hard drive has to be a SATA drive. There are IDE to SATA converters out there though

yea i dont know about harddrives that much when it comes to sata2 cabling. So i can only use the sata2 cable on a sata drive. Is it better to use the sataddrive then a ide harddrive.

Well.. that all depends. It has a higher max transfer rate 150 vs IDE's 133. And, thanks to those smart kids at MIT, you can take advantage of RAID. RAID can be used to mirror everything on two drives.. in case 1 drive craps out; it can be used to treat up to (4 I think) drives as one single drive. And it can do a few other things.. can't remember them all.

Is it that much better than IDE? Well, if you don't really have any interest in utilizing RAID then there's no reason to upgrade since, most likely, you're not going to notice the increase in transfer rates.
But, its all up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom