Enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theor

In Runtime
How do I make sure that my computer has enough power to run at optimal levels? Is there a program or a method to check how much wattage each thing in your case is using so you can add it up and compare to how much your power supply actually puts out?

i'm using an Antec True Control 550 and it has a panel to increase +12v, +3.3v, and +5v voltages.. I noticed that using asus probe it showed me voltages were kidna low.. +12 was at like 11.2, +5 at 4.8 and 3.3 at 3.1.. so I hope this'll help.

+12v stays around 11.904 now, +5v varaites from 4.9v-5.056 and +3.3v at like 3.264..

thanks for the link, just worried cause i'm running two 6800 ultras in sli.. and this true control 550 didn't exactly come with two lines to connect to the cards so I had to use the molex connectors that came with the cards. One card is sharing a line with the floppy, and another with an optical drive and I think they have to be on dedicated lines.. but the computer hasn't told me that the cards are short on power. I tested once and removed it, the computer warned me.. and lowered clock speeds to deal with the power shortage. I'm just trying to be safe hehe.

yeah, you definitely don't want that +12v down at 11.2 especially since the 6800's run off that line....but now it seems like your rails are right on. Up to 5% fluctuation is fairly normal, but I start to worry once it starts to hit that 5% mark, means the PSU is dying or getting drained.

You also definitely want to get those ultras running on dedicated lines, just rules out the possibilities of weird crap happening although you appear to have no problems as of yet

yeah but, I just bought this true control 550 thinking it'd be ablet o handle everything.. I mean it's suppost to be a good power supply from what i'm told.. but I don't see anyway of getting two dedicated lines for the ultras =/ crapp.. anything I can do?

What are your full specs?

If you have your fans plugged into the psu, than you can use Y splitters to power them, or have a fan on the same line as the 6800u's as they wont be using much power.

I used Y splitters to power the cards,

athlon fx-55, a8n-sli deluxe, 2x 6800 ultras, western digital 74gb 10krpm raptor, corsair XMS 2gig pc3200

I think you're fine.
I think it is a good idea to have multiple +12V rails when you have SLI but it's not necessary. I see no cause for concern with your power supply.

And generally +12V is always a little low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom