Dual PSU question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
not that anything bad would happen, but it seems more trouble than it's worth. Also you're going to have to mod that 2nd PSU so it'll turn on with the rest of the system which would require splicing wires from the power cable of the 2nd psu into the wires that go into the mobo of the first PSU.........either that or turn the 2nd PSU into a 'test psu' in which you'd have to always remember to turn it on unless it's AT style

Right now its a test style psu. It just sits on the case, since i dont have room inside. Right now I just power it on and off when needed.

On a side note, if I were to put a hard drive on that test psu, and then power it off when the rest of the system is still on, would that damage the hard drive?

That means dont put an HDD on it.... And you would only need to splice the Green wire and the black wire on its left together with the other PSU....

either splice those wires like charles said, so that they both turn on and off with the rest of the computer, or simply put fans and nothing more on the 2nd PSU

I think splicing the two psu's would be a worse idea then putting hardware on the second. You are adding twice the power to those pin on the motherboard.

You are adding twice the power to those pin on the motherboard.
No you're not. They are only trip wires to tell the PSU to turn on. When making a PSU you just gotta cut the green and black wire and then splice them together, that way the PSU comes on when you flip the switch. Don't believe any power actually goes to them

Alright, so you think it would be a better idea to splice the two power supplys together than to have one as a test psu and have hardware (other than fans) on that one?

Well like I said if ones a test PSU then you'd have to always remember to turn it on......but now you got me all worried about splicing the wires haha. They are trip wires, but I definitely don't want to tell you to do something then next ya know, bam it's fried of something =/

I'm like 90% sure (you put that 10% of doubt in me! haha) that nothing will happen, because like I said it shouldn't be anything but a trip wire........of course if you pop open your PSU and follow the green and black (although black should def be ground) wires to the PCB board inside the PSU it generally has a label, so if you see voltage, then yeah don't do it

That black wire is a ground wire, and if the negatives have slightly differnt amps then it could overload one PSU.... dunno why negatives have amps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom